(THM: S, gluten-free, sugar-free, grain-free)
- 1# ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- (4) medium zucchini, made into noodles using this (or a similar) gadget
- 24 oz. no sugar added spaghetti sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
- 4 T. butter, melted and cooled
- 16 oz. 2 or 4 % cottage cheese
- 1 t. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium skillet, over medium heat brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper until ground beef is no longer pink. Meanwhile in a non-stick skillet, salt and sauté the zoodles over medium heat for 7 minutes, making sure to move them frequently so they don't burn to the bottom of the pan. The salt will flavor them, but also remove some their liquid. After the 7 minutes is up, place them on a clean plate. If you feel like they're releasing a lot of liquid, make sure you squeeze them before you transfer them to the plate.
- Once the beef is done cooking, add the spaghetti sauce to the pan and simmer on low. In a small bowl, whisk the 2 eggs and add the Parmesan and butter. Stir to combine. Add the zoodles to the egg mixture and toss to coat them.
- In another bowl combine the cottage cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, 2 c. of mozzarella cheese and the sour cream. Stir to combine.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan. Place the zoodle/egg mixture in the bottom of the pan. Press down into the pan. Wash your hands and then place the cheese mixture on top of the zoodles. Next add the sauce and top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes before serving.