Research interests: Insurance in developing countries, development economics, decision under uncertainty, financial theory, actuarial science.
Published academic papers
- Stefan Dercon, Ruth Vargas Hill, Daniel Clarke, Ingo Outes-Leon, Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, Offering rainfall insurance to informal insurance groups: Evidence from a field experiment in Ethiopia, Journal of Development Economics, Volume 106, January 2014, Pages 132-143
- Clarke, D.J. and D. Grenham (2013). Microinsurance and natural disasters: Challenges and options, Environmental Science & Policy.
- Clarke, D.J. and R.V. Hill, (2012). Cost Benefit Analysis of the African Risk Capacity Facility, IFPRI.
- Mahul, O., N. Verma and D.J. Clarke (2012). Improving famers' access to agricultural insurance in India, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5987.
- Clarke, D.J., O. Mahul, K.N. Rao and N. Verma, (2012). Weather Based Crop Insurance in India, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5985.
- Clarke, D.J., O. Mahul and N. Verma, (2012). Index Based Crop Insurance Product Design and Ratemaking: The case of the modified NAIS in India, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5986.
- Clarke, D.J. (2011). A Theory of Rational Demand for Index Insurance, Department
of Economics Discussion Paper 572, University of Oxford.
- Clarke, D.J. (2011). Reinsuring the Poor: Group Microinsurance Design and Costly State Verification, Department of Economics Discussion Paper 573, University of Oxford.
- Clarke, D.J. and O. Mahul, (2011). Catastrophe risk financing and contingent credit: a dynamic analysis, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5693.
- Clarke, D.J. and S. Dercon (2008). Insurance, Credit and Safety Nets for the Poor in a World of Risk Working Papers 81, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
Other Work in Progress
- Microinsurance decisions: evidence from Ethiopia, (with Gautam Kalani), Working Paper 2011.
- Providing Indexed Drought Insurance via Informal Insurance Groups: Evidence from a Field Experiment with Funeral Societies in Ethiopia (with Bayrou, A., S. Dercon, I. Outes-Leon, A. Seyoum, and R. Vargas Hill), Working Paper 2010.
- Crop micro-insurance: tackling poverty, one insurance policy at a time (with Dermot Grenham, Agrotosh Mookerjee, James Sharpe and Dan Stein), Working Paper 2011, Winner of Brian Hey Prize 2010.
Complete thesis (final version): Insurance Design for Developing Countries, to be hosted online at Oxford University Research Archive
Slides used in thesis defense
Articles for The Actuary Magazine
Microinsurance: Gathering pace, The Actuary, September 2011.
Jumping up the equity ladder, The Actuary, January/February 2009.
A pool of uncertainty, The Actuary, April 2008.