Solon Township History
(Transcribed by ______?________)
IF YOU TRANSCRIBED THIS FOR THE SITE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW - COMPUTER PROBLEMS CAUSED
ME TO LOSE THE INFORMATION ON WHO ASSISTED WITH THIS TOWNSHIP! THANKS!
(Proofed by Denise Wells)
Two Families on the Way – Their Tedious Route – Robbins and Bull make the First Settlement – Oliver Wells – Arrival of Miss Della – First Twins – The First School – Organization of Township – Names of the Voters – Choice of a Name – The First Officers – Chasing an Elk – First Settlement on North Half – On Hampshire Street – Increasing Emigration – R. M. Hanaford – Wm. Pillsbury at the Center – W. W. Higby – Settlers on the Ledge – A Disgusted Stranger – First Marriage and Death – First Church and Physician – Bears, Deer and Rattlesnakes – Black Salts – Selling Sugar in Cleveland – Going Courting in Aurora – A Professor in the Woods – The First Store – Captain Archibald Robbins – General Improvement, Mails, etc. – Solon in the War – Education – Railroads – Business Places at the Center – Congregational Church -- Disciples’ Church- Methodist Church – Principal Township Officers
the month of August, 1820, two families, well supplied with teams, household
goods, and especially with children, might have been seen making their tedious
way along the rough road from Newburg through Independence to Hudson, in the
present county of Summit, and thence northeastward to Aurora, now in Portage
county, where they made their temporary stopping-place. From that point the heads of the two
families made a thorough examination of the unoccupied land round about, and
after due consideration determined to locate themselves in the west part of the
“Williams and Ellsworth” tract, which comprised the southern portion of
township six, range ten, then described as the survey-township of Milan, but
now known as the civil township of Solon.
The heads of those two families were Samuel Bull and Captain Jason Robbins, both lately from Wethersfield, Hartford county, Connecticut, and both, when past the meridian of life (Mr. Bull being forty-five years old and Captain Robbins fifty-eight), having determined to try their fortunes in what was then called the far western wilderness of Northern Ohio.
erected their log-houses (those inevitable pioneer palaces), and having made
such other preparations as circumstances permitted, the two men, in the month
of November, 1820, moved their families from Ansom to their new homes; thus
becoming the first settlers in the present township of Solon. Although these were the only two
families in the township, yet they made quite a beginning in the way of
settlement, as Mr. Bull had six children and Captain Robbins full as many.
Their places were situated on what had been an important mail and supply route from Pittsburg to Cleveland during the war of 1812, but which in 1820 had been abandoned in favor of the road through the more settled regions of Independence, Hudson, etc., and had become impassable by reason of growing bushes and fallen timber. It is now the direct route from Cleveland through Solon Center to Aurora. Their nearest neighbors were two miles to the southeast, in the northwest corner of Aurora. In the direction of Cleveland they could travel without seeing a single residence to a point within three miles of the village of Newburg, and nine miles from their own homes. To the westward, also, it was nine miles to a neighbor, who resided in the southwesternmost part of Bedford.
the four men and women who thus began the settlement of Solon, all remained at
their chosen location throughout their lives. Samuel Bull died in 1838, at the age of sixty-three; Mrs.
Eleanor Robbins died in 1850, at the age of seventy-seven; Captain Jason
Robbins died in 1852, at the age of ninety; while Mrs. Fanny Huntington Bull,
the last and oldest of the venerable quartette, survived to the remarkable age
of ninety-four, dying in the year 1872.
Of Mr. Bull’s family, Pitkin S., Lorenzo S. and Norman A. are still
living, and it is from the second named that we have derived the facts
previously narrated. Of Mr.
Robbins’ family, W. W. Robbins and Mrs. I. N. Blackman still survive.
The third family which settled in the township was that of Oliver Mills, who came from the same locality as Messrs. Robbins and Bull in the autumn of 1821, and located on lot number forty of the Williams and Ellsworth tract, being the southwesternmost lot in the township. From this time forward there were but few arrivals for nearly ten years; the land being held at higher prices by the proprietors than most emigrants were willing to pay.
We must not, however, neglect to mention one important arrival which occurred soon after Mr. Wells’ settlement in the township – that of Delia, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Wells, and the first white child born in Solon. The same couple were also the parents of the first twins born in the township, who followed in due season after Miss Delia.
The first school in Solon was taught by John Henry about 1822, his only patrons being Messrs. Robbins and Bull, who were the only two who lived near enough to join in the enterprise. Robbins furnished four children and Mrs. Bull three. The price was ten dollars a month and board, and, according to Mr. L. S. Bull, his father paid in shoemaking and Captain Robbins in maple sugar.
Although emigration was slow, yet a few settlers did arrive, and by 1825 there were eight voters in the township: Messrs. Robbins, Bull and Wells, already named, young P. S. Bull, then just come of age, and four new arrivals, John C. Carver, C. M. Leach, Thomas Marshall and Ichabod Watrous – all in the south part of the township. Down to this time the survey-township of Milan had remained a part of the civil township of Orange, but in the year last named the eight gentlemen mentioned, thinking perhaps that it would attract attention and emigration, determined to have an organization of their own. On their petition the county commissioners set off Milan into a separate township, and ordered an election of officers.
general consent the other settlers accorded to Messrs. Bull and Robbins, as the
earliest pioneers, the privilege of naming the new township. They were desirous of commemorating
some name connected with one of their families, but as neither Bulltown nor
Robbinsburg seemed to sound exactly right, they finally agreed to adopt the
second name of Mr. Bull’s second son, Lorenzo Solon Bull, now the worthy
postmaster at Solon Center. The
complaisant commissioners confirmed the appellation, and thus the name of the
great Grecian lawgiver was applied (although at second hand) to one of the
pleasant and fertile townships of Cuyahoga county.
At the first election the following officers were chosen: Trustees, Jason Robbins, Samuel Bull, Ichabod Watrous; clerk, James Robbins; treasurer, Pitkin S. Bull; constable, Pitkin S. Bull; overseer of the poor, Pitkin S. Bull; justice of the peace, Oliver Wells. The list is furnished us by the numerously elected Pitkin S. Bull, the only survivor of the official five to whom the eight officers were allotted.
Solon, when first settled, like all the rest of the Western Reserve, abounded in wild game; not only were wolves, deer, bear, etc., to be found there in great numbers, but occasionally even the lofty elk was to be seen bearing aloft his wide-branching horns adown the forest glade, and starting in sudden dismay at the faintest sound of the woodman’s axe. These stately animals, however, very speedily disappeared. In 1821, the year after the first settlement, P. S. Bull and Warren Warner chased a large buck elk for three days through Milan (Solon) and the adjoining townships, it being finally killed in Northfield (now in Summit county) by a third hunter, who struck its track a little ahead of the unlucky Milanese and gained the prize. This was, so far as known, the last elk seen in the township. Bear remained a few years longer, and other wild game was abundant till a far later period.
The first settlement in the north half of the township was made about 1827 by John Morse, who located near the old State road before mentioned (running from Cleveland to Aurora, etc.), not far from the Bedford line. He was followed within two or three years by Joseph G. Patrick, Baxter Clough, ----- Gerish and others, from the State of New Hampshire; for which reason that road has been called Hampshire street down to the present time. John C. Sill settled in the township in 1831, and Walter Stannard and John Hodge about the same time. Mr. Martle settled in the extreme southwest part of the township.
And now the tide of emigration began to rise rapidly. In 1832 Reuben M. Hanaford settled in Hampshire street, about a mile and a half northwestward from the center. He is still living at the latter place, and we are indebted to his vigorous memory for many facts regarding the history of the township subsequent to his arrival. Not a tree had then been cut within a mile of the center. William Pillsbury, however, purchased the land around the center that same year. No roads were cut out in that part of the township, and no wagons were in use. There were merely paths through the woods, traversed summer and winter by ox-sleds.
William W. Higby was then working in Solon, where he has ever since been a permanent resident. Elijah Pettibone settled that year (1832) in the southeast part of the township, where he and his sons have since been permanent citizens. William W. Richards, C. R. Fletcher and John Hale all came that year or the next, and settled in the south and northwest parts of the township. These, including Pettibone, were all from Jefferson county, New York.
The first settlers in the north part, on what is known as “The Ledge,” were Elisha Wilmott and Albert Pond, who located there about 1833. These were soon followed by Abraham Witter, George H. Mason, Stephen Dunwell and Alvin Harrington, most of these in this section being from Maine. Deacon John Barnard settled in the township about 1833.
The ground at the center being low and somewhat wet, that was one of the last points to be settled. An anecdote related by Mr. Hanaford shows the unpleasant impression which the township, and especially that portion of it, made upon strangers at the period of which we are speaking. Several roads had been laid out, meeting at the center, but none had been cut out, all being designated only by lines of marked trees. Having occasion to go to Twinsburg, during the first year of his residence in the township, Mr. Hanaford followed the line of marked trees south to that point, and then returned by the same track to the center. As he approached the latter point toward nightfall, he saw a man on horseback looking anxiously at the various indications of highways yet to be.
“See here, stranger,” he exclaimed, immediately on observing Mr. Hanaford, “I wish you would tell me which way I ought to go to get out of this infernal town.”
“Well,” replied Mr. Hanaford, “that depends on where you want to go to. This line of marked trees,” pointing south, “leads to Twinsburg; that one runs southwest to Aurora; that one due north will take you to Orange; this one on the west”---
matter about that,” interrupted the traveler; “I’ve just came from the west
through that cursed swamp, and I’ll swear I don’t want to go that way. I don’t’ care where these other trails
go to either; all I want to know is which is the quickest way out of town.
Mr. Hanaford gave him the distances to the various points mentioned, the stranger selected the nearest one and immediately started toward it at a rapid pace. Scarcely had he got out of sight when the wolves were heard howling in the forest; a circumstance which probably did not diminish his anxiety to get “out of town,” and which caused Mr. Hanaford to hasten his pace materially on his way home.
The first man who built a house at the Center was Freeman McClintock, who located there in 1832 or ’33. He resided there in his log cabin two or three years before any joined him.
The axes of the woodmen now resounded on every side, and in three years after Mr. Hanaford’s arrival, in 1832, nearly all the land in the township had been purchased from the original proprietors.
It was not until about 1833 that the first marriage took place in Solon, the parties being Baxter Clough and Hannah Gerrish, both of “Hampshire street,” the officiating magistrate being Capt. John Robbins, the second justice of the peace in Solon.
The first death was that of Mrs. Thomas Marshall, which occurred in 1834, fourteen years after the settlement of the township. There being, naturally, no burying-ground in Solon before there was a death, she was taken to what was called the Seward burying-ground, in Aurora, for interment. Several other of the Solon pioneers also rest there.
By this time both the Presbyterians and the Methodists had begun to hold meetings in the township – in fact, Presbyterian meetings were held at Mr. Hanaford’s house as early as 1832. In 1834 or ’35 a regular church of that denomination was formed, being composed largely of the New Englanders on Hampshire street. A year or so later they built the first church edifice in the township, at the Center. It was the second frame building there, and was placed on high posts (“stilts,” some called them) on account of the dampness of the soil. A separate sketch will be given of this church with the others.
In 1834 the first physician, Dr. Alpheus Merrill, settled in Solon. He remained several years.
The same year that the doctors began to come the bears disappeared. Mr. S. S. Bull mentions that the last of those animals was seen in Solon in 1834. In that year four were killed in the township; one by Thomas Marshall, one by S. S. Bull, one by William W. Higby, and one very large one, weighing about four hundred pounds, by James Robbins, 2nd.
The deer still continued quite numerous, and many a jolly hunt was enjoyed by the youth of Solon. William W. Hibgy stood at the head of the Nimrods of that township, and had hardly a rival in the country round, excepting Hiram Spofford, of Bedford, who hunted largely in Solon. Neither of them considered it a very remarkable feat to kill from six to eight fat deer in the course of a day, while as to raccoons, turkeys, etc., they numbered their victims by the hundreds every season.
Rattlesnakes, too, were extremely frequent throughout the pioneer period, especially on “the ledge” in the northern part of the township. One night when Albert Pond got up to attend to his sick child he was somewhat started to find a large, yellow rattlesnake stretched out comfortably in front of the embers of the fire. Similar unpleasant encounters with these reptiles were not uncommon, but we do not hear of any fatal results – except to the snakes.
The early exports of Solon consisted of maple sugar, “black salts,” and deer skins. The “black salts,” as is known by all the older citizens, were the results of boiling down the ley made from the ashes which could be produced in abundance by every energetic settler in clearing his own land. These were generally sold at Newburg. As they could speedily be transformed into pot- and pearl-ashes, which might be shipped east at slight expense, they would bring cash, when grain was almost unsaleable from the fact that the transportation cost nearly or quite as much as it was worth in the Eastern markets.
As for sugar and molasses, each man who had a surplus when the maple-sugar season was on, put it in a wagon and started with an ox-team for Cleveland, occupying two days in the trip. There he would take a pail and a pair of steelyards and drive from house to house, selling from ten to fifty pounds in a place. If even a merchant took a whole barrel, he was thought to be doing a wholesale business.
While many young marred men, with their families, came into Solon at this period, a large proportion of the settlers were bachelors. Nearly every one of these, as soon as he had made a little clearing and built a log cabin, would start for the nearest settlement, hunt up a good-looking girl and go to courting her with a straightforward energy which seldom failed of success. As Aurora (Portage county) was the oldest settled township in the vicinity, and the most convenient of access, and was also blessed with an ample supply of handsome, agreeable and industrious young ladies, the solitary Solonites betook themselves thither in large numbers, and with eminent good fortune, a larger proportion of the pioneer mothers of Solon coming from Aurora than from any other township on the Reserve.
Even after the building of the Presbyterian Church at the Center, it was sometimes difficult for the ministers who were to preach in it to find their way to the house of the Lord through the thinly-settled woods of Solon. Professor Reuben Nutting, of Western Reserve College at Hudson, who occasionally preached there, got belated one cool Saturday night in autumn, when on his way thither on horseback, lost his way when within a mile of the meeting-house, and, after wandering around for a long time, finally became satisfied that he could not find his way out. The professor had evidently been deeply impressed by the sanitary precept, “Keep your feet warm and your head cool.” Having hitched his horse and taken off the saddle, with the invariable saddle-bags, which formed a part of every minister’s equipment in those days, he took the “comforter” from his neck, cut it in two, wrapped the pieces around his feet, and then bestowed his pedal extremities, one in each of the saddle-bags. Thus protected, he lay down on the driest place he could find, and it is to be presumed that, whatever may have been his sufferings in other respects, he didn’t catch cold in his feet. The next morning he found his way to the waiting congregation, but was too much exhausted to speak until afternoon.
It was not until about 1840 that Solon was far enough advanced to support a store. The first one was then established at the center by Captain Archibald Robbins, son of Captain Jason Robbins, the early settler before mentioned, who had become a resident of the township many years after his father. The younger Captain Robbins had had a very romantic and thrilling experience. He had been the mate of Captain Riley, whose “Narrative” was once read with delighted interest by thousands of youth throughout the country. Riley and Robbins, with their crew, had been cast ashore on the western coast of Africa; had been captured by Arabs, and had only escaped after a long and painful captivity.
Captain Robbins also published a narrative of his adventures, but it was not as widely known as that of Captain Riley, perhaps because the former, being a very plain, straightforward man, did not embellish his account with the productions of his imagination sufficiently to suit the popular taste. After having subsequently been in chief command of various vessels for a number of years, and after keeping a store a few years at Griffithsburg, now in the township of Chagrin Falls, Captain Robbins had finally established himself in Solon, where he died in 1859 at the age of sixty-seven. Besides his store at the center he had an ashery, where he made black salts and pearl-ash, which for a long time were almost legal tender among the settlers.
We have now given a brief sketch of the pioneer times in Solon. After 1840 the township rapidly assumed the appearance of a cultivated country. Framed houses superseded log ones on all the principal roads, and in time even the byroads showed the same signs of thrift and prosperity. The population steadily increased. The deer disappeared before the advancing waves of civilization. A small village slowly grew up at Solon Center, whither the farmers brought a portion of their products, while the remainder was furnished a ready market by the remarkable growth of Cleveland. A steam sawmill was built at the center before the war of 1861 by -------- Johnson, which is still in operation there, being owned by John Cowen. Another steam sawmill with a large cheese-box factory connected with it was erected by Calvin Gilfort, and operated by him until it was destroyed by fire a few years since.
At length came the war for the Union, when the youth of Solon promptly responded to their country’s call. The deeds of the regiments in which they were embodied are recorded in their appropriate place in the general history, and the names of the gallant sons of Solon are to be found with their comrades from other towns appended to their respective regiments and batteries. A detachment of the first recruits joined the Twenty-third Ohio, President Hayes’ regiment. Each of these was presented with a pistol by the patriotic ladies of the township. An interesting incident, growing out of this circumstance and connected with Corporal Sheridan E. Bull, son of Lorenzo S. Bull and grandson of Samuel Bull, the pioneer settler, is narrated in the sketch of that regiment in the general history.
Aside from war, the most important event in the history of the township in later years has been the construction of the Cleveland branch of the Atlantic and Great Western Railway, which runs diagonally across the township from northwest to southeast. The establishment of its depot about a fourth of a mile northwest of the original “Center,” has caused a considerable extension of the village in that direction.
Great attention has always been paid to education in Solon, and it still ranks among the foremost rural townships of northern Ohio in that respect. In 1867 and ’68 a very fine brick school-house was erected at the center designed for the use of the village district, and as a high school for the township. There are two teachers in it, and about seventy scholars.
In 1878 a narrow gauge railroad was completed from Chagrin Falls to Solon. Its effect in increasing the business of the latter place is yet to be seen. The business places and shops of Solon now comprise the following list: Four general stores, one drug store, one tin shop, one hotel, two blacksmith shops, one shoe shop and one steam sawmill. Of late years dairying has become a leading business of the farmers, and there are now five cheese factories in the township.
The remainder of the township history will be devoted to brief sketches of the three churches which have been organized in it, and to a list of the principal township officers.
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
As before stated, this church was organized in 1834 or ’35, the presiding minister having been Rev. John Seward, of Aurora, Portage county. The first members were Joseph Patrick and Amanda, his wife; Baxter Clough and Hannah, his wife; Samuel Gerrish and Betsey, his wife; John Morse, his mother and his sister Prudence; Asa Stevens and Susan, his wife, and R. M. Hanaford and Nancy, his wife. Probably William Pillsbury and wife, and Horace Merry were also among those present at the organization; it not, they joined shortly afterward. Asa Stevens was one of the first deacons.
For about a year the church usually met at the house of old Mrs. Morse, a mile or so northwest of the Center. At the end of that time the framed church, still in use, was erected at the Center. During eleven years there was no settled minister, the pulpit being filled by professors from Western Reserve College, by occasional supplies, by lay readers, etc. In 1845 Rev. John Seward, the same who had organized the church, became its permanent pastor, and remained so until 1861. The church has since maintained itself in a condition of steady prosperity. There are now about one hundred persons whose names are on the roll, of whom at least eighty are regular communicants. Rev. James Webster is the present pastor, 1878.
THE DISCIPLE CHURCH.
Disciple meetings were held at Solon as early as 1840. On the 29th of November, 1841, a church was fully organized there, with thirteen members. It has flourished and increased ever since, having now about a hundred members. Among its ministers have been the following: J. H. Rhoads, J. H. Jones, T. B. Knowles, James A. Garfield, H. W. Everest, John Smith, O. C. Hill, John Atwater, A. B. Greene, and the present incumbent, C. W. Henry. The elders are L. S. Bull, H. P. Boynton and C. S. Carver; the deacons, F. H. Baldwin, M. J. Roberts and W. W. Robbins; the trustees, F. H. Baldwin, W. W. Robbins and J. J. Little.
THE METHODIST CHURCH.
There was Methodist preaching at the school-house on “the ledge” in the north part of the township as early as 1840, and soon afterwards at the school-house at the Center, but it was not until 1854 that a church edifice was built, and regular service established. There was then quite a flourishing congregation, but it has since become so enfeebled by removals, deaths, etc., that it is impossible to learn the details regarding its early history.
Preaching was regularly maintained from the erection of the church edifice most of the time until about 1869. Rev. Mr. Vernon was the pastor in 1866, Rev. Mr. Latimer in 1868, and Rev. Mr. Burgess in 1869. Since then, the congregation have had to depend principally on transient preaching.
PRINCIPAL TOWNSHIP OFFICERS.
The township records down to 1838 are destroyed or lost; so that we can only give the names of the officers elected from that time to the present, with the addition of those chosen the first year, who were as follows: Trustees, Jason Robbins, Samuel Bull and Ichabod Watkins; clerk, Jason Robbins; treasurer, Pitkin S. Bull; overseer of the poor, Pitkin S. Bull; constable, Pitkin S. Bull; justice of the peace, Oliver Wells.
1838. Trustees, Samuel Glasier, James M. Hickox, Jarvis McConoughy; clerk, Joseph G. Patrick; treasurer, Freeman McClintock; overseers of the poor, Collins Reed, William Higby.
1839. Trustees, S. Glasier, Wm. Higby, Ralph Russell; clerk, j. G. Patrick; treasurer, Reuben M. Hanaford; overseers of the pool, Col. ____ Reed, Seymour Trowbrdge [sic].
1840. Trustees, S. M. Hickox, J. G. Patrick, Theodore S. Powell; clerk, Archibald Robbins; treasurer, R. M.. Hanaford; overseers of the poor, Wm. R. Richards, James McConoughy.
1841. Trustees, Morris Bosworth, Obadiah B. Judd; clerk, John M. Harat; treasurer, S Trowbridge; overseers of the poor, Wm. Higby, Henry Hillman.
1842. Trustees, Ebenezer Gove, Daniel Morse, Caleb R. Fletcher; clerk, H. W. Hart; treasurer, S. Trowbridge; assessor, Arch. Robbins; overseers of the poor, W. W. Robbins, Asa Stevens.
1843. Trustees, Leander Chamberlin, Joel Stewart, Wm. Higby; clerk, A. Robbins; treasurer, Asa Stevens; assessor, J.M. Hart; overseers of the poor, Samuel Glasier, Geo. Mann.
1844. Trustees, Simeon T. Shepard, Sanford H. Bishop, Seymour Trowbridge; clerk, A. Robbins; treasurer, Joel Seward; assessor, J. G. Patrick; overseers of the poor, John McClintock, James Smith.
1845. Trustees, S. H. Smith, W. W. Richards, L. S. Bull; clerk, A. Robbins; treasurer, S. T. Shepard; assessor, R. M. Hanaford; overseers of the poor, John McClintock, S. Trowbridge.
1846. Trustees, Joel Seward, H. W. Hart, E. Cook; clerk, L. S. Bull; treasurer, A. Robbins; assessor, O. B Judd
1847. Trustees, C. R. Fletcher, Simon Norton, S. H. Bishop; clerk, John Deady; treasurer, J. M. Hickox; assessor, Almon Case.
1848. Trustees, Daniel Morse, Wm. W. Richards, Norman A. Bull; clerk, Wm. R. Robbins; treasurer, John M. Hart; assessor, R. M. Hanaford.
1849. Trustees, Henry G. March, Leander Chamberlain, E. Gove; clerk, W. R. Robbins; treasurer, J. G. Patrick; assessor, L. S. Bull.
1850. Trustees, H. G. March, Wm. R. Sill, S. Trowbridge; clerk, Edmund Richmond; treasurer, A. Robbins; assessor, S. H. Bishop.
1851. Trustees, S. Trowbridge, Richard Dewey, Francis Pettibone; clerk, W. R. Robbins; treasurer, A. Robbins; assessor, O. B. Judd.
1852. Trustees, Robert Smith, C. R. Smith, W. W. Robbins; clerk, W. W. Barnard; treasurer, J. J. McClintock; assessor, Austin Blackman.
1853. Trustees, W. W. Richards, Norman A. Bull, Orris B. Smith; clerk, Wm. R. Robbins; treasurer, Geo. S. Hickox; assessor, F. Pettibone
1854. Trustees, J. M. Hickox, Dexter McClintock, Wm. Higby; clerk, John Deady; treasurer, Wm. B. Price; Assessor, F. Pettibone.
1855. Trustees, Calvin T. Reed, H. G. March, S. T. Shepard; clerk, John Deady; treasurer, W. B. Price; assessor, F. Pettibone.
1856. Trustees, ______ Daniel, Calvin Gilbert, Augustus Pettibone; clerk, S. B. Smith; treasurer, W. B. Price; assessor, G. Gove.
1858. Trustees, R. M. Hanaford, C. H. Baldwin, L. Chamberlain; clerk, Wm. K. Ricksecker; treasurer, C. Gilbert; assessor, Norman A. Bull.
1859. Trustees, R. M. Hanaford, S. T. Shepherd, O. B Smith; clerk, W K. Ricksecker; treasurer, W. R. Robbins; assessor, H. A. Smith.
1860. Trustees, H. N. Slade, James Wester, R. Dewey; clerk, R. R. K. Merrill; treasurer, C. B. Lockwood; assessor, H. A. Smith.
1861 Trustees, H. N. Slade, C. Chamberlain, G. G. Hickox; clerk, Hiram Chapman; treasurer, C. B. Lockwood; assessor, A. Blackman.
1862. Trustees, G. G. Hickox, Alfred Stevens, Royal Taylor 2nd; clerk, W. R. Robbins; treasurer, C. B. Lockwood; assessor, C. H. Baldwin.
1863. Trustees, Royal Taylor 2nd, O. B. Smith, Alfred D. Robbins; clerk, R. R. K. Merrill; treasurer, J. C. Webster; assessor, C. H. Baldwin.
1864. Trustees, O. B. Smith, A. N. Slade, J. N. Blackman; clerk, A. M. Smith; treasurer, A. D, Robbins; assessor, L. S. Bull.
1865. Trustees, H. N. Slade, J. M. Hickox, S. P. McConoughy; clerk, A. M. Smith; treasurer, E. C. Blackman; assessor, O. T. Reed.
1866. Trustees, C. H. Carmon, Fenner Bosworth, J. M. Hickox; clerk, J. L. Chamberlain; treasurer, E. C. Blackman; assessor, H. A. Smith.
1867. Trustees, J. M. Hickox, F. Bosworth, H. A. Smith; clerk, J. L. Chamberlain; treasurer, E. C. Blackman; assessor, L. Chamberlain.
1868. Trustees, C. L. Chamberlain, H. A. Smith, James Webster; clerk, J. S. Chamberlain; treasurer, E. C. Blackman; assessor, L. Chamberlain.
1869. Trustees, C. L. Chamberlain, N. A. Bull, F. Bosworth; clerk, W. F. Hale; treasurer, E. C. Blackman; assessor, Wm J. McConoughy.
1870 Trustees, N. A. Bull, Thomas Potter, H. Haster; clerk, R. R. K. Merrill; treasurer, R. W. Collins; assessor, Wm J. McConoughy.
1871. Trustees, Thos. Potter, H. A. Smith, J. N. Blackman; clerk, R. R. K. Merrill; treasurer, R. W. Collins; assessor, W. J. McConoughy.
1872. Trustees, J. N. Blackman, Richard Davey, O. B. Smith; clerk, R. R. K. Merrill; treasurer, W. F. Hale; assessor, W. J. McConoughy.
1873 Trustees, O. B. Smith, W. W. Robbins, R. Dewey; clerk, W. F. Hanaford; treasurer, W. F. Hale; assessor, L. S. Bull.
1874. Trustees, Walter W. Robbins, Chester S. Carver; clerk, John Deady; treasurer, Erskine Merrill; assessor, L. Chamberlain.
1875. Trustees, Francis Pettibone, Daniel McAfee, Richard Dewey; clerk, John Deady; treasurer, E. R. Merrill; assessor, L. .Chamberlin.
1876. Trustees, L. D. Hanaford, J. N. Blackman, D. McAfee; clerk, W. F. Hanaford; treasurer, W. F. Hale; assessor, W. J. McConoughy.
1877. Trustees, J. N. Blackman, H. L. March, C. H. Baldwin; clerk, F. A. Hale; treasurer, W. F. Hale; assessor, W. J. McConoughy.
1878. Trustees, A. Pettibone, James Harper, H. L. March; clerk, F. A. Hale; treasurer, W. F. Hale; assessor, W. J. McConoughy.
1879. Trustees, C. H. Baldwin, Founer Bosworth, A. H. Chamberlin; clerk, W. C. Lawrence; treasurer, W. C. Lawrence; assessor, W. J. McConoughy.
History of Cuyahoga County, Ohio; Part Third: The Townships, compiled by Crisfield Johnson, Published by D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879; pages 515-520
Township Histories >