Transcribed by Helen
THE METHODIST CHURCHES.
South Park—First—East Cleveland—Franklin Street—First German—Christ—Taylor Street—German Methodist (West Side)—Superior Street Tabernacle—Scovill Avenue—Lorain Street—Grace Church—Broadway—Willow Avenue Mission—Union Chapel—Woodland Avenue—Sadie Chapel—Wesleyan Methodist—Welsh Calvinistic—St. John’s (A. M. E.)—Free Methodist.
SOUTH PARK CHURCH.
METHODIST preaching was introduced into Newburg as early as 1818, a class being formed, which passed through various vicissitudes, and then became extinct. On the 1st of January, 1832, Mr. Lyman Ferris went to Cleveland, and invited Rev. Mr. Goddard to resume the work. Mr. G. did so, establishing preaching, and forming a class, consisting of the following persons: Lyman Ferris and wife, Stephen Ames and wife, Cyrus Chapman and wife, Mr. Dr. Henderson and Mrs. Willis.
The first church-building, a neat frame, was erected in
1841; costing about three thousand dollars.
From 1832 to 1860 Newburg was part of a circuit, and preaching was kept
up regularly by the preachers, who, from year to year, were appointed by the
In 1860 the society, having attained some influence and means, was detached from the circuit and became a station, with Rev. D. c. Wright as pastor, who was followed successively by Rev. S. Gregg, Rev. D. Prosser, Rev. R. M. Warren, Rev. M. Hill, Rev. G. W. Chesbro, Rev. Thomas Stubbs, Rev. J. R. Lyon and Rev. A. S. Dobbs. Under Mr. Dobbs’ energetic labors and wise guidance, the present tasteful and commodious brick structure was begun and carried forward so far as to complete the basement story in 1872. The lecture room is used for church purposes, and will, with the two side-rooms connected with it by large folding doors, seat about six hundred persons. Rev. Mr. Dobbs left the charge in his third year, and was followed by Rev. C. Prindle, who filled up the year. Rev. A. D. Morton succeeded, and remained three years. The present incumbent is Rev. Benj. Excell. The church at present numbers about two hundred and twenty-five members; the Sabbath school about one hundred and seventy-five to two hundred. The present board of trustees are Edmund James, John Henderson, Wm. P. Braund, Geo. R. Hill, Geo. W. Culett, J. D. Jones, M. D., Robert Woodley, Noah Rothwell and Wm. Jones. There is now only a small indebtedness, for the payment of which provision has been made, and it is expected that in a year or two the debt will be paid and the building completed.
Methodist preaching commenced in Cleveland as early as the year 1822, although church organization was not accomplished until 1827. The first Methodist of the city of whom any record can be obtained was Mrs. Grace Johnson, who became a settler in the county in 1822. In the same year Rev. Ira Eddy established a place of preaching in Cleveland as a part of the Hudson Circuit. In 1823 Rev. William H. Collins and Rev. Orm Gilmore became the preachers on the circuit. In 1824 Rev. Philip Green and Rev. William C. Henderson were the appointees. Rev. Robert Hopkins was placed in charge in 1825, and continued as such until 1826, when Revs. John Crawford and William R. Babcock were appointed. A class was formed in 1827 under the pastorate of Revs. John Crawford and Cornelius Jones, consisting of Mrs. Grace Johnson, Andrew Tomlinson, Eliza Worley, Elizabeth Southworth, Joel Sizer and wife, Elijah Peet and wife and Lucinda Knowlton. Elijah Peet was chosen leader. This was the first Methodist society in Cleveland.
At this time the Cleveland
circuit, so called, comprised all of Cuyahoga, Lake, Geauga, Summit
and part of Portage and Ashtabula counties.
In 1828 Revs. Ignatius H. Tacket and Cornelius Jones were appointed to the circuit, and in 1829 wee followed by Revs. John Chandler, J. McLean and T. Vaughn.
During the following year, 1830, under the charge of Rev.
Billings O. Plimpton, Cleveland was made a
station, or regular charge, but on account of a large secession of members who
formed the “Methodist Protestant church,” the society was seriously affected,
returned to the circuit.
In 1831 Revs. Alfred Brunson, Dennis Goddard and John J. Steadman; in 1832 Revs. John McLean and John E. Ebert, and in 1833 Revs. John W. Hill and Milton Colt were respectively appointed to the circuit charge.
In 1834 Cleveland
was made a permanent station and Rev. George McCaskey appointed pastor. From this time the society worshipped in
halls, school-houses and the court-house, until 1841, when the church on the
corner of St. Clair and Wood streets was completed. They continued to worship in this church
until the erection and dedication of the new chapel in 1869, on the corner of Euclid avenue and Erie street. In 1874 the present elegant edifice was
completed on the same lot. The cost of
this building was about one hundred and forty thousand dollars.
This church has contributed largely of its members and means
in the formation and building of other Methodist churches in the city, and is
the mother church
of Cleveland Methodism. Its present membership numbers over four
hundred. The following are the names of
the several pastors of the church from the time it became a station, with the
term of service of each respectively:
rev. Francis A. Dighton, 1835-7, (on account of failing health Mr.
Dighton was released from his work, and Revs Hiram Gilmore and J. W. Lowe
appointed for the remainder of the term.)
Revs. Hiram Kinsley and H. N. Stearns, 1837-8; E. J. Kenney, 1838-9; J.
K. Hallock and M. H. Bettis, 1839-40; A. M. Brown, 1840-2; L. D. Mix, 1842-3;
Samuel Gregg, 1843-5; B. K. Maltby 1845-6; B. K. Maltby and Ezra Jones, 1846-7;
J. W. Lowe, 1847-9; Thomas Stubbs, 1849-51; John Bain, 1851-2; G. B. Hawkins,
1852-4; George L. Little, 1854-6; Moses Hill, 1856-8; John Peate, 1858-9; W. P.
Bignell, 1859-61; W. F. Day, 1861-3; John Whiteley, 1863-4; E. S. Gillette,
1864-7; C. E. Felton, 1867-70; C. N. grant, 1870-2; Henry baker, Jr., 1872-4;
C. W. Cushing, 1874-5; J. N. Fradenburg, Ph. D., 1875-6. Rev. B. F. Brooks, D. D.,
was called to the pastorate in 1876 and continues to hold it at the present
EAST CLEVELAND CHURCH.
This church was first organized in 1827, with the following members: Aaron Hubbard (leader) and wife, James Sawtell and wife, Oliver Marshall, Israel Hubbard and wife, Anna Cozad, Eleanor Collier, Philinda Gould, William Mitchell and wife, Timothy Hurlbut and wife, Samuel Bond, Florilla Searls, Samuel Harris and wife, Harriet Slate and Nathan Smith and wife. It was a part of the Newburg circuit until 1858. At that time the circuit was divided, and East Cleveland and Euclid were separated. In 1860, East Cleveland was made a station, since which the pastors have been: Rev. L. Clark, two years; Rev. T. Guy, two years; Rev. S. Gregg, two years; Rev. D. Smith, one year; Rev. A. M. Brown, one year; Rev. W. W. Wythe, two years; Rev. Dr. C. Prindle, three months; Rev. T. Stubbs, nine months; Rev. B. Excell, three years; Rev. D. Latshaw, two years; Rev. G. W. Maltby, seven months; Rev. C. H. Stocking, two years and five months; Rev. A. R. Chapman, present pastor, in his second year. The present membership is about two hundred. Officers of church: Rev. A. R. Chapman, pastor; G. W. Foote, president and secretary, H. T. Hower, treasurer, T. C. Parsons, Rev. I. Dallas, L. B. Coe, W. H. Gates, William Morris, A. E. Bradley, trustees; George Watkins, E. C. Pope, T. C. Parsons, D. B. Beers, W. H. Gates, G. W. Foote, L. B. Coe, R. Quigley, J. W. Excell, stewards; J. W. Excell, recording steward and treasurer; D. B. Beers, Sunday school superintendent; Miss S. Gardner and Mrs. E. C. Pope, assistant superintendents. The first church building, which is still used as a class and prayer-meeting room, is thirty-two by forty-four feet, and was built about 1836. The present church is of brick, about forty-four feet by seventy, and cost nearly twenty-two thousand dollars. It was dedicated in December, 1870.
This society was organized about 1830, and has now a membership of three hundred. The house of worship is at the corner of Franklin avenue and Duane street, west side. The pastor is Rev. J. S. Youmans.
This church was organized September 3, 1845, in an old building on South Water street, by Rev. C. H. Buhre. Rev. C. H. Doering administered the first sacrament to thirteen communicants. The first board of trustees was organized on the 19th of October, 1840, under the charge of Rev. C. Helway. The trustees were John Griffin, John Hoffman, Jacob Lowman, John Gill, Peter Marcellus, John Hall and John Outhwaite. In the year 1848 they purchased a lot on Prospect street, between Ontario and Erie streets, and erected a brick church, thirty-five feet in width and fifty feet deep. The whole property, including the edifice, cost the society about two thousand dollars. In 1860 the society leased a lot on Erie street, number three hundred and three, as a more suitable and convenient location for a church edifice, and with the proceeds of the sale of the property formerly used they built a new church of brick and wood. The new church edifice was dedicated December 25, 1860. The lease expired in 1870, when the society purchased the lot. The society continued in this building until 1878 when an exchange was made for the Baptist church-property on the corner of Scovill and Sterling avenues. This was dedicated February 9, 1879. The church has a present membership of sixty-one. The Sabbath school numbers eighty scholars. The pastors who have had charge of the society since its organization, are Rev. C. H. Buhre, C. Helway, John A. Klein, c. Gahn, P. F. Schneider, J. Rothweiler, N. Nuhfer, Ennis Baur, C. Bozenhart, J. Krehbiel, G. Berg, C. F. Heitmeyer, G. Bertram, J. Gicken, C. Nachtrieb, W. Borcherding, H. Knill, J. Haas and C. Golder, the present incumbent.
The organization of Christ Church was effected in July, 1850, through the labors of Rev. Dillon Proccer. A small parcel of land was donated by Simon Streater, upon which a chapel, twenty-five by thirty-five feet in size, was built. This house the society occupied until the next year, and then removed to the building subsequently used as the Homeopathic Hospital. The society soon after, and furing the year 1851, again moved into the new church edifice on Erie street, remaining thee until 1876, at which time the Westminster Presbyterian Church on the corner of Huntington and Prospect, was purchased. Here the society meets at the present day. The church has a membership of about one hundred and sixty, and has had the following pastors: Revs. Dillon Prosser, James H. Whalon, D. D., Nelson Stearns, Thomas Stubbs, J. E. Chapin, W. F. Willson, D. C. Wright, R. H. Hurlburt, A. J. Merchant, -- Yingling, J. S. Lytle, John Sullivan, Charles W. Cushing and t. M. House, the present incumbent, who was called to the pastorate in September, 1878.
This church was organized in 1853, and for some time the society was so small that services ere held in the dwellings of members—Mr. Benjamin Parkins, a local preacher, being the minister. Later a church was put up at the corner of Bridge and Taylor streets, and in 1868 the church building now used, was first occupied. Rev. T. C. Warren is the present pastor—his predecessors in the present church having been Revs. Messrs. Colwell, Mower and McCaskey. The membership is one hundred and sixty, and the trustees are J. C. Bartlett, Cornelius Rosecranz, Samuel Fix, James Davey, Richard Conn, William Harrison and William Henderson.
THE GERMAN CHURCH
This church was formed, and a house built for it on the corner of Lorain and McLean streets, under the charge of Rev. C. Gahn, in the year 1851, as a mission of the Methodist Episcopal society then on Prospect street. In 1853 the mission became a separate society, and Rev. John Balduff was chosen pastor—continuing two years. Rev. Philip B. Weber and Rev. George Berg was successively ministers until October, 1856. Since that thime the several pastors and their terms of service have been as follows: Gottlieb Nachtrieb, from October, 1856 to October, 1857; George Reiter, from 1857 to 1859; Christian Nachtrieb, from 1859 to 1860; gottlieb Nachtrieb, from 1860 to 1861; C. Bozenhart, from 1861 to 1853; C. Heitmeier, from 1863 to 1864; N. Nufer, from 1864 to 1866; George Berg, from 1866 to 1867; N. Nufer and C. F. Morf; from 1867 to 1868; John S. Schneider, from 1868 to 1871; H. Buttenbaum, from 1871 to 1872; Albert Nast, from 1872 to 1874; John S. Schneider, from 1874 to1876; Wm. Borcherding, called in 1876 and continues pastor at the present time.
The first official board consisted of Wm. Mack, Jocob Knopf,
Jacob Hoffman, V. K. Klup, F. Knopf, A. Frewart, F. Schwarz. The church has at present a membership of one
hundred and twenty. Connected with the
church is a Sabbath school of one hundred and fifty scholars, and twenty –four
officers and teachers.
SUPERIOR STREET TABERNACLE.
This church was organized by Rev. Dillon Prosser as a city
mission about 1860. The first church
building occupied was one previously used by the Erie Street M.E. congregation. It was moved to St. Clair street, and afterwards a
building was erected on Waring
street, when the church was known as the Waring Street
Church. The octagonal edifice on Superior street, now used, was opened for
worship I 1877. The membership, which,
in 1860, was but seventeen, is upwards of two hundred in 1879 Rev. Harvey T.
Webb is the present pastor, the trustees being H. C. Brainard, Henry Cain, Wm.
Simmons, J. J. Smith, W. P. Starrett, Thos. Corris and M. B. Johnson.
At the session of the Erie Annual Conference of M. E. church in 1866, rev. Dillon Prosser was appointed city missionary. His first services were held in the open air, under the trees on Forest street, for the space of three months. A Sunday school was organized, with about twenty scholars; Thomas H. Oakley, superintendent. During the winter services were held in an unfinished dwelling-house, and a church was duly organized. Mr. Oakley, his wife and two daughters, were the first members of the young society, bringing certificates from the St. Clair street M. E. church.
In the spring 1867, the church had about forty members. The sum of one thousand dollars was raised,
and the old Lutheran building was purchased and moved to a vacant lot on Scovill avenue,
near Perry street,
leased for one year. The next year the
society purchased a lot on the corner of Scovill and Longwood avenues, for five
thousand five hundred dollars, and again removed the old building to that
locality, where they held services until the present edifice was erected. In the old church the membership was greatly
enlarged under the labors of the rev. C. N. Groot.
The first board of trustees consisted of Thomas H. Oakley, chairman, A. E. Hoon, Boardman Bosworth, Alvin N. Curtis, Wm. S. Wight, John Kelley and John Strong. The new building was commenced in 1871, and the basement occupied in 1872. About twenty-four thousand dollars have been expended, and for want of funds it has remained unfinished until now.
The parsonage is on the rear of the lot, fronting on Longwood avenue. The lot is seventy-five by one hundred and eighty-three feet, in size. The church building is of brick, with stone trimmings and stained glass windows. The audience room, when finished, will seat about eight hundred persons. The finished part contains a pastor’s study, infant class and business rooms, lecture room and double parlors, all handsomely frescoed, and well seated and lighted.
The following have been the pastors: Revs. D. Prosser, C. N. Groot, F. H. Beck,
George W. Gray, Benjamin Excell, Frank Brown, A. N. Croft and James R.
Mills. The present board of trustees are
Thomas H. Oakley, Chalres W. Munsell, N. A. Gilbert, Samuel E. Bottsford, Joel
Woodword, H. Wilkins, A. Wilkins, S. H. Barrett. The present membership is one hundred and
seventy-five. The Sunday school scholars
number two hundred and twenty five. The
church was a mission but one year. The
Woodland Avenue M. E. Church is composed of former members of Scovill Avenue
Church, who mainly paid
for the building and lot which were deeded to them.
This church was organized in 1868, in the German M. El church edifice on Lorain street, being known as the “Clark Mission,” by which name it was designated until the year 1874, when a change was made and the present name adopted. The first members were chiefly from the Franklin avenue church, and were transferred to the mission, under the charge of Rev. H. L. Parish. In 1870 the present church edifice was built, forty by sixty feet in size; being enlarged in 1874 by the addition of a lecture room. In 1878 the entire edifice was again reconstructed, having at present a comfortable seating capacity of five hundred. Situated in a portion of the city where the residents are necessarily transient, the church has not been able to make any large increase in permanent membership, but numbers at present about one hundred and seventy-five. The following is the succession of pastors: Revs. H. L. Parish, O. Carel, J. S. Broadwell, T. K. Dissette, F. S. Wolfe and John Mitchell (appointed in 1878). The following are the present church officials: Rev. John Mitchell, pastor; Rev. O. Card, local elder; W. W. Gould, recording steward; Joseph Storer, H. Hale, E. G. Powel, W. W. Richardson, James Davis, C. F. Harris, stewards; Joseph Storer, Samuel Stoney, H. Hale, leaders; H. Hale, James Langhorn, E. G. Powel, W. W. Richardson, --- McDole, James Davis, W. W. Gould, trustees.
This society was organized in the year 1870, and worshiped in an old building on Merchants’ avenue, between Cliff and Fairfield streets. Rev. Charles Ruddick, a local preacher, with others, conducted the services. In the year 1871, under the supervision of Rev. Mr. Ruddick, the church edifice on Pelton avenue, near Literary street, was built. The first trustees were Messrs. Barney Swartwood, John Timmins, J. R. Timmins, John Corrigan and ---Reed. The building and lot cost about four thousand dollars. Rev. George W. Collier, preached the dedicator sermon and conducted the services.
During the winter of 1878-9 the church building underwent a
complete renovation, the old hall or entrance and gallery being taken out and
one of the stairways entirely removed.
Above the class-rooms and hall a neat chapel, seated with chairs, has
been constructed. In the rear of the
auditorium, back of the pulpit, an alcove has been built for the organ and
choir, which adds much to the appearance and convenience of the church
edifice. The auditorium has a seating
capacity of two hundred and fifty. On
the day of re-opening, March 16, 1879, the expense of repairs, eight hundred
dollars, was added to the old debt of about three hundred dollars, and the
whole nearly paid in cash and subscriptions.
Rev. I. C. Pershing, D. D., president of Pittsburg Female
College, preached both
morning and evening. At this time the
name was changed from Pelton Avenue M. E. Church to Grace M. E. Church, and the
society was incorporated under the latter appellation. It is now in a very flourishing condition,
though its numbers are small; it has a membership of fifty-eight, and about one
hundred and twenty names on its Sunday school roll.
The following pastors have served the society since its organization: Rev. Charles Ruddick, 1870, Rev. ---McHenry, 1871; Rev. A. D. Knopp, 1872; Rev. H. L. Parish, 1873 to 1876; Rev. B. A. Disney succeeded to the pastorate in 1876. The present officers are Rev. B. A. Disney, pastor; Revs. W. C. North and Thomas Small, local preachers; Rev. W. C. North, W. D. Savage, Martin Winger, Wm. H. Barch, John TImmius and J. W. Flint, stewards; W. D. Savage, J. W. Flint, Mrs. Caroline A. Newton, Mrs. Hester Winger, class leaders; W. C. North, W. D. Savage, William H. Barch, M. Winger and J. M. Burns, trustees.
For many years previous to 1871 the people residing in the Fourteenth ward had felt the want of a church organization, and the agitation of the subject led to definite action in the spring of that year. In accordance with a a previous arrangement a preliminary meeting was held April 16, 1871, in the wigwam or polling-lace of the ward, on Trumbull street, at which time a society was organized under the name of the “Broadway Union Mission Sabbath School Society.”
The rapid increase of membership and attendance at the Sabbath school led to the purchase of a lot on Broadway near Gallup street; a deed being taken by Alphonzo Holley, Jabesh Gallup, T. M. Irvine, Edward Rose, and L. L. Crane, as trustees to hold for the society. During the autumn months a neat chapel was erected on the rear end of the lot, where temporary services were held until the completion of the church edifice in October, 1872. The members of the Methodist societies of the city contributed largely toward the erection of this building, and in accordance with a previous agreement the property was conveyed to the Methodist Church. In September, 1872, the society, under the name of “Broadway M. E. Church,” was regularly organized, with Rev. C. N. grant, pastor, rev. E. S. Gillette, associate pastor. The society then had but ten members, but now numbers over seventy. The several pastors have been as follows: Revs. C. N. Grant, E. S. Gillette, J. H. Tagg, and Dillon Prosser, the present minister.
WILLSON AVENUE MISSION.
This was organized in June, 1873, in a saloon on St. Clair street, as a Mission Sabbath School. Mrs. Prosser, wife of Rev. Dillon Prosser, purchased the building and had it removed to its present location on Willson avenue. Devotional exercises were conducted there by Rev. Mr. Prosser, but no permanent church organization has ever been effected. A prosperous Sunday school is maintained there under the charge of James Malpas, superintendent.
Union Chapel was organized April 29, 1874, with the following officers: John Pendleton, class leader; H. Woods, William Bailey, Frank Johnson, trustees. In October following a lot of land on Hackman street was leased for a term of five years, upon which a church edifice was built by C. H. Norton as a gift to the society. The church has a present membership of forty-eight. The Sunday school has an attendance of sixty scholars. The pastors in charge of this chapel since its organization have been Revs. Henry Steene, George W. Hatton, --- Henderson, A. A. Price, John Pickett, George Carr, Thomas Tompkins, W. J. H. McDade, D. D., pastor; W. F. King and Samuel Justin, local preachers, (the latter being also class leader); William Harris, Andrew Wilkins, and James Monroe, trustees.
This church was organized in September, 1874, by Rev. D. Prosser. A lot was leased from Mr. John Wolcott on Woodland avenue, and the building, formerly the Kingsley chapel, moved to the site, enlarged, refitted and otherwise improved, at an expense of about six hundred dollars. Rev. Mr. Prosser acted as pastor for one year. The other pastors in succession have been Revs. C. N. Grant, --- Palmer, J. G. Bliss and J. H. Tagg, the present incumbent.
In the month of Setember, 1875, through the labors of Rev. Dillon Prosser, a school-house owned by the estate of Rev. William Day, and located on Prospect street, was purchased and moved to Willson avenue, corner of Prospect street. Here Rev. Mr. Prosser soon after organized a church retaining pastoral charge until September, 1878, when Rev. John Tagg was appointed, and still serves as officiating minister.
The Sadie Chapel, or, as it is generally known, the Kinsman street chapel, was organized as a subscription church in the year 1877. Land on the corner of Kinsman and Herald streets was donated by Mr. Israel Hubbard, and in September of that year the chapel was completed and dedicated. The services on the occasion were conducted by Revs. Dillon Prosser and David Osborn. The chapel was built at a cost of six hundred dollars, and has two hundred sittings. Rev. Mr. Prosser had charge of the chapel society until 1878, when Rev. J. H. Tagg, of the Woodland avenue church, was appointed pastor.
At the Erie Conference M. E. Church, in the fall of 1838, resolutions were passed disapproving any expression by the churches on the question of American slavery. This action was received with disfavor by a portion of the members of the church in Cleveland. On September 1, 1839, an organization was effected, consisting of about sixty members, who withdrew from the First Methodist Episcopal Church for that purpose. This new church stood alone until May, 1843, when it sent delegates to a convention held at Utica, New York, and there went into the organization which has ever since been known as the Wesleyan Methodist Connection of America.
Of the original sixty members but six yet remain. These are Rev. James Christian, John Corlett, Wm. K. Corlett, James Gayton, Mrs. Elizabeth Southworth and Mrs. Sarah Parkhurst.
The church was first built on Euclid avenue, near
Sheriff street. It was a plain, neat frame building, capable
of seating about four hundred. In 1863
the society sold the lot on which it stood, and moved the house to its present
location, at the corner of Brownell and Ohio
The church has had a succession of pastors in the following order: Revs. I Robbins, B. Preston, J. A. Pearson, J. B. Walker, S. D. Jones, J. McEldeny, W. H. Brewster, H. B. Knight, A. Crooks, Cyrus Prindle, I W. Bainum, A. H. Kinney, J. E. Carroll, S. R. Royes and A. G. Hiatt. The following are the present officers: M. B. Clark, William Cowley, William K. Corlett, David Whitehead, James Christian and S. W. Hill, trustees; S. W. Hill, J. H. Weaver and George Short, stewards; John Corlett, treasurer; J. P. Brown, clerk; John Collester, assistant clerk. The Sabbath school numbers about sixty scholars.
THE WELSH CALVINISTIC
The Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, or Welsh Presbyterian, Church was organized about the year 1858, and occupies a framed building, erected at a cost of about two thousand dollars, on Cannon street, corner Elmo street, at Newburg. The first pastor was Rev. John Moses who continued until about 1867, when Rev. Ebenezer Evans was called to the pastorate, and served the society for five years. In 1872 the present pastor, rev. William Harrison, took charge. The present membership is about forty, and near the same number are in attendance on the Sabbath school.
ST. JOHN’S (A. M. E.) CHURCH.
This was organized about 1865, and has now a congregation of
upwards of two hundred members, who worship on Erie street, under the ministrations of
Rev. T. H. Jackson.
FREE METHODIST CHURCH.
This church, the first of its denomination in the city, was
organized in 1870 with but six members.
A small building was erected on Pearl street in that year and occupied as
a place of worship until 1873. In the
latter year the property was sold, and the society purchased the church-edifice
and pastoral residence on the corner of Bridge and Taylor streets. The first officers of the church were A.
Bradfield, Wm. C. Jones, E. Thomas and Thomas Service. The successive pastors with their terms of
service have been as follows: Revs. W.
H. James, A. V. Leonardson and E. Matthews, one year each; A. Bradfield, two
years; S. C. Stringham, one year; Joseph Lawrence, two years. Rev. C. F. Irish, the present pastor, was
settled in 1878. The church officials
are as follows: C. F. Irish, pastor;
George Lawrence and Wm. C. Jones, local preachers; E. Thomas, E. Holkins and
Joseph Cain, class leaders; wm. Brooker and V. Jerome, stewards.
History of Cuyahoga County, Ohio; Part Second: The City of Cleveland, The Methodist Churches, compiled by Crisfield Johnson, Published by D. W. Ensign & Co., 1879, pages 250-254.
 The four following churches have organizations separate from that of the Methodist Episcopal churches; but there being but one of each denomination in the city, we have thought it best to append them here.