History of Jhang Pakistan


Main Directory

Home

Indus Civilization

Islamic Period

British Period

Cultural Heritage

Gandara Civiliztion

Sikh Period

Post Independence

MeriageTraditions

External Links

Cities

Attock

Abbottabad

Bahawalpur

Burewala

Chichawatni

Chakwal

Chiniot

Daska

Dera Ghazi Khan

Faisalabad

Gujranwala

Gujrat

Jhang

Jhelum

Kamalia

Khushab

Harappa

Islamabad

Lahore

Multan

Queta

Sheikhupura

Sahiwal

Sialkot

Sargodha

Toba Tek Singh

Google

History

Jhang is said to have been founded in the fifteenth century, and to have been destroyed by the river and refounded in the reign of Aurangzeb. It was taken by Ranjit Singh in 1805

During British Rule the towns of Jhang and Maghiana, lying two miles apart, became a joint municipality, then known as Jhang-Maghiana

Jhang-Maghiana became a municipality in 1867. The income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs.46,800 and the expenditure Rs. 44,200, in 1903-4 the income was Rs. 49,700 mainly derived from octroi. Maghiana lies on the edge of the highlands, overlooking the alluvial valley of the Chenab, while the older town of Jhang occupies the lowlands at its foot

The Government offices and establishments had been removed to the higher site, and commerce declined in Jhang, which was no longer considered a place of importance. Maghiana, however, had a considerable trade in grain and country cloth, and manufactured leather, soap, locks and other brass-work. Maghiana also contained a civil hospital, whilst Jhang had a high school and a dispensary

The population in 1901, according to the 1901 census of India, was 24,381 of whom 12,189 were Hindus and 11,684 were Muslims.

Jhang is the burial place of Heer and Ranjha, of Punjabi folklore.

Back to Main History Page