During British rule,
Chakwal was a tehsil of Jhelum district, the population according to
the 1891 census of India was 164,912 which had fallen to 160,316 in
1901. It contained the towns of Chakwal and Bhaun and 248 villages. The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to 3-3 lakhs.
District Chakwal is a barani district with mainly hilly
terrain lying at the beginning of the Potohar plateau and the Salt
Range. It is covered with scrub forest in the south-west and
levelled plains interspersed with dry rocky patches in the
north-east. It was raised to the administrative status
of a district
in 1985.Before that it was a Tehsil of district Jhelum.