Announcements from Pack 43
Pack 43 Hike at Alum Rock Park
Greetings Pack 43,
The last hike of the school year will be a traditional daytime hike. The exact hiking itinerary is TBD, as several of the trails I wanted to use are currently closed due to the wet trail conditions.
Date: Saturday, April 1st, 2017
Time: 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm
Cost: Free (Potentially $6 per car for parking, see below)
Length: 3-4 miles round trip
Signups and further details are at:
Hope to see you there,
Pack 43 Pinewood Derby Car Cutting.
Hello Pack 43 Families,
Please join us for one of our Pinewood Derby Car Cutting Sessions at Maywood Park (Eisenhower). Please make sure that you come before 7:30 as there will not be much time left for you to begin working on your car and you may be asked to come another session.
Friday, December 2nd has been cancelled.
Tuesday, December 6th 6:30PM - 8:00PM.
Thursday, December 8th 6:30PM - 8:00PM.
Tuesday, December 13th 6:30PM - 8:00PM.
We provide the tools you need to cut your car. You just need to come with a design in mind for your car. Designs and templates can be found online by searching Pinewood Derby cars/designs. You can also check out the official Pinewood Derby website:
Pack 43 Hike Schedule
Our first 2016-2017 pack hiking adventure was the October Scout
Orienteering Championships (map/compass) in Oakland's Tilden Park. Our
pack did quite well: I'll have an event recap at our Thursday pack
meeting, as well as information about our next two hikes:
1. Willow Glen Holiday Lights Hike.
The next hike/outing for Cub Scout Pack 43 is a festive hike (or run)
among the well-decorated houses in San Jose's Willow Glen neighborhood.
Come join us for a evening of learning to use a map/compass and
navigating to different spots where you answer simple multiple choice
questions about the decorations.
Date: Saturday, December 17th, 2016
Time: 5:15 pm to 8 pm
Cost: $20 per group/team. If a group is two scouts/two
parents, then $5 each.
Length/Climb: As far as you can go and return in either 60 or 90
minutes. Willow Glen is a flat residential area.
Signups are now open and *RSVPs must be made by Saturday December 10th
Michelle Ray will be the event leader.
2. Stevens Creek County Park to Picchetti Ranch Open Space Preserve
This will be a more traditional daytime hike, starting at the south end
of Stevens Creek Reservoir and hiking up the western ridge along the
Zinfandel Trail to the Picchetti Ranch Open Space Preserve. We will
picnic on the grounds of the historic winery, and then descend back to
Date: Sunday, January 29th, 2017
Time: 10 am to 2 pm
Cost: Free ($6 per car parking, see website). There are limited light snack/drink options
available for purchase at the winery.
Length/Climb: 2 miles each way, with about 400' of climb.
Signups are now open and *RSVPs must be made by Sunday January 22nd at
Brad Wetmore will be the event leader.
Hope to see you there.
Scouting for Food & Pack Meeting
Hello Pack 43 Families,
Please join us in two phases for Thursday’s PACK MEETING, starting earlier than usual - at 6PM!!
PHASE 1 @ 6PM = “SCOUTING FOR FOOD”
Please come to Sutter at 6PM to help with “Scouting-for-Food”. You will be paired with another family or two, given a map and send out into the Sutter neighborhood for the boys to hang door-hangers on people’s front doors. Bring a flashlight if you can. (On Saturday, a smaller group will meet at Sutter to go back out and collect the food goods that people have left out, and bring them to the food-bank where it will be distributed to those in the community in need.) Snacks and drinks will be provided for those that come and help with this activity!
PHASE 2 @ 7PM = REGULAR PACK MEETING
Please join us for our regular November pack meeting. Lots going on, so please be on-time so we can finish on-time. In addition to finding out what’s going on in the pack and celebrating our successes, we will have:
- Christmas ornament making – Our GATHERING ACTIVITY will be to make Christmas ornaments for our annual Christmas in the park contribution (please come a little early if you can so the boys have time to do a good job)
- Talent night – several boys will show-off their musical and dramatic talents!
- BobCat awards – awarded to the new scouts who have joined this year
- Uniform inspection – wear those uniforms! Shirt, neckerchief, slide. Gold stars for those with proper uniforms – we’ll take a group photo in December!
Looking forward to everyone’s participation. Especially if you can make it at 6pm to help distribute door-hangers for gathering food for those in need – a great way to help instill community service in the boys!!
See you there!!!
(Cub Master, pack 43)
|We are camping at Mt. Madonna Park the weekend of November 18-20. This is a camp for the whole family; siblings, grandparents, etc. are welcome. The cost is $35 per adult and $25 per child for the weekend. There will be a $10 per person fee for those who do not want to camp overnight but want to drive down and join us during the day. |
If you would like to join us, please respond ASAP. We are limited to 50 people.
Veterans Day Parade Details
Pack 43 Scouts will join in San Jose Veterans Day Parade on Friday November 11th. Our unit is among nearly 90 entries participating in this parade! The parade begins at Cesar Chavez Park and continues down Delmas along Santa Clara to Market Street and ends at San Carlos Street.The parade will feature bands, floats, military units and special guests. Thousands of spectators are expected to line parade route in the downtown San Jose to watch this event!
When: Friday November 11th 11.15 am.
Meeting Point: parade staging area on Notre Dame Ave - between W. Santa Clara Street & St. John Street (in the vicinity of Andy's Pet Shop), Downtown, San Jose.
Meeting Time: 11:15 am. (Parade Starts at 12pm.)
Parade Group: Pack 43 is group #64
Contact :Scott Perry at (408) 394-1649 the day of the parade if you need help meeting up.
Additional Details: Please check this link for info on Parking, route map and staging area.
Please sign-up if you plan to attend.
UPDATE: Creek Clean-Up Postponed to Sunday, Oct 23rd, 2pm.
Thank you for those that showed up for this event. However it has been postponed by one week. We will meet at the same time and place on the 23rd. Hope to see you all there.
For those who are curious about what happened, although it had been raining all day and the night before, at 11am Sunday, the creek was still dry (no flowing water). However, when everyone showed up at 2pm, the creek was flowing at a high level. What must of happened is that the water authority opened a valve on the creek system (Lexington Reservoir) to let some of the water flow out, causing unsafe conditions. The next day, it was dry again!
So with luck and no further rain forecast, we will meet again on the 23rd at 2pm. See you there!
Annual Creek Clean-Up
Every year, Pack 43 does a great turn for our city, our waterways and our environment. Join us this Sunday, Oct 16th, at 2pm for an hour or so as we clean-up Saratoga Creek starting at Maywood Park parking lot (3330 Pruneridge Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95051) and we will work our way up to the pedestrian bridge or until the water stops us.
This is a great way to get the boys out of the house on the weekend and contributing in a meaningful and fun way directly cleaning the creek and helping the environment.
- Come rain or shine (a little rain never hurt anyone, right?!!) -- We will not go into the creek bed if the water is flowing a lot and there is danger for the little guys - otherwise its on!
- Dress for getting wet feet. There will be standing water. Wear old shoes / pants. (dress for rain if raining - a chance to test your rain gear for the coming winter season!!!)
- Bring gardening/work gloves if you have them. But kids will be cautioned not to touch any glass or metal - parents can get those
- Everyone is welcome - sisters, friends, cousins, brothers, grandma... :-)
- Plan on somewhere between 1 and 2 hours, max
- No need to RSVP, just come if you can - but we will start on time, so don't be late!
Help needed from a couple of families for our October pack meeting --> Diwali Celebration
We are seeking help from a couple of families to help us organize a few fun activities for our "Diwali" themed October pack meeting (Hindu Festival of Lights). You don't need to be a Diwali expert, but it might help. :)
We plan on having some ways for all the boys to learn about the significant festival through speech, songs, games, crafts, and sweet treats. We have some ideas already.
So just need a few families to help brainstorm and organize this for the pack and help at the pack meeting. I will be aided by the new tiger leader Sanjeev. So if you can help, please email BOTH MYSELF AND SANJEEV to get started:
Thanks in advance for anyone that can help! (Bahut Shukriyaa)
Fall Camping Trip - Save the Date!
We have chosen the weekend of November 18/19 for our campout at Mt. Madonna. I will send the sign-up sheet first to the families who signed up for our original trip. The sign-up window for them will remain open for 1 week, after which we will open it up to the whole Pack.
Keep your eyes open!
Popcorn Update and Deadlines
Hello Pack 43 Families!
We are coming down the home stretch of our popcorn sale. My sincere thanks to all who participated in yesterday's sale at Safeway! We totaled $744 in sales! We will be selling again next Saturday, so please do take the opportunity to join in. Click here to signup.
- This is the last week for Take Orders. We have extended the deadline. Take order forms must be returned to me not later than midnight on Thursday, 10/13! This is a hard deadline! You may scan your order form and email it to me at email@example.com or leave it in my mail box. My home address is 690 Cornell Dr. (right across the street from Sutter).
-UNSOLD POPCORN MUST BE RETURNED TO ME NOT LATER THAN SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15TH. AFTER THAT DATE, ANY POPCORN STILL IN YOUR POSSESSION MUST BE PAID FOR!!
-Online sales continue through October 28th! Scouts can sell online until that date and get credit toward prizes!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns or issues. Thanks, again, for everyone's hard work!
Your Popcorn Kernel,
Popcorn Online Sales
The online system has been updated, so even if your son has sold online in the past, you will need to re-register him. Instructions as follows:
- Go to www.trails-end.com
- Select "Register" in the upper right hand of the screen
- Select "Scout/Parent"
- Parents need to set up the account for the boy, so select "No" when prompted "Are you under the age of 13"
- Enter the Scout's name, an email address, parent's phone number and date of birth and select "Continue"
- Create a user name and password and select "Continue"
- Enter zip code and unit number (0043) and select "Go"
- Select "I can't find my unit". (There is a bug in the software and our Pack does not appear in this step; you will be able to enter your son's unit information after the account has been created.)
- You will receive a confirmation email from Trail's End. Once you log into your son's account, you can go to "Account Settings" in the upper right hand corner and go to the "Change my Unit" section. Select "Silicon Valley Monterey" from the "Council" drop-down, "Pioneer" from the "District" drop-down, and "Pack 43" from the "Unit" drop down.
If you have any issues with the registration process, please contact John (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.