John Jessiman, after a thirty-three year teaching career at New York University Cortland, purchased a 100-acre Virginia plantation. Due to the beautiful rolling fields, the property was known as "Grasydales" and the 4000 sq ft house built in 1833 served as a hospital during the Civil War. Having taught summer programs at Archie Bray Foundation and summer sessions at Alfred, John began building studios and contacting other professionals with the goal of creating a residency program where emerging ceramic artists could prepare for advanced study and/or develop their careers. The concept was to provide a professional facility with high quality equipment and generous workspaces.

During the pursuing years, John Jessiman, Randy Edmonson, Steven Glass and Brian Pitney created the legal and program concepts of the foundation and soon received the federal recognition of a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational foundation. In 2002, Cub Creek Foundation accepted our first residents.

In 2006, the grand old house that served as the nucleolus of the foundation and housing for our residents, was totally destroyed by fire. Although this was a tragic development, John and the entire board were committed to rebuilding. After a trip visiting a New England barn builder, John began designing a new house and two smaller three-bedroom houses for the residents of the foundation. The 3500 sq ft central house serves as the social center for our residents, housing for visiting artists and an entertainment center for workshops.