What is a wiki?
is a page or collection of web pages designed to enable anyone who accesses it to contribute or modify content (excluding blocked users), using a simplified markup language
Wikis are often used to create collaborative websites
and to power community websites. The collaborative encyclopedia Wikipedia
is one of the best-known wikis.
Why use a wiki?
Collaborate with others on creating a document
- Collaborate on any web-based, group activity
- No complicated programming skills required!
- Develop a simple web presence
Possible Educational Applications of Wikis
Class or topic web site
- Group project presentation alternative
- Collaborative data collection / analysis
- Peer editing and review
- Many, many more!
Examples of Wikis
Free Wiki Tools
How To Get Started with Wikis
- Find a wiki on a topic of interest and contribute
- Setup your own wiki and give it a try!
- Provide your students the option of collaborating in a wiki or perhaps developing one as a final deliverable for a group project
More Wiki Resources