What is synchronous communication?
Real-time, live collaboration with one or more people using either text, audio, and/or video.
Why use synchronous communication?
- Immediate feedback
- Expedite the communication process
- Communicated to/from either a computer or mobile device
Possible Educational Applications of Synchronous Communications
- Online office hours
- Online class sessions / lectures
- Guest presentations
- Student group collaborations
Free Synchronous Communication Tools
How To Get Started with Synchronous Communications
- Sign-up for a free account on a service such as Skype or ooVoo
- Purchase or secure a headset microphone and/or webcam
- Setup a Wimba Classroom in Blackboard for synchronous online sessions
More Synchronous Communication Resources