What is a blog?
is a type of website
usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary,
descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video.
Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order...
Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries
. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, Web pages,
and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave
comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs.
Why use a blog?
- Develop simple web presence
- Informally share ideas and receive feedback
- Syndicate news, announcements, or other media
- Journal development of ideas, projects, research, or activities
- Collaborate asynchronously with colleagues
- Interact with students outside the "walls" of Blackboard
Possible Educational Applications of Blogs
Class or topic news
- Faculty member web site
- Student web site
- Group project or organization status
- Online journal
- Many, many more!
Examples of Blogs
Free Blogging Tools
How To Get Started with Blogs
- Subscribe to a few blogs on topics you find to be of interest
- Setup a blog for yourself or for your class
- Have your students subscribe to your blog
- Post announcements, news, and other information items of interest on your blog.
More Blog Resources