Syllabus and Assignments
Media and Education (CE5801-1)
Spring 2018 Rm. 201
Instructor: Dr. Tae Chang
Office Hours: Tuesdays 6:00-6:30 and by appointments
I. Course Description
This course explores media and technology in education. As the educational field is getting more digitalized, it is important to understand media and technology in teaching and learning process. Students will be introduced various forms of media and technology and be able to evaluate and utilize media and technology in education.
II. Course Objective
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to
· Explain change/development of media and education from the perspective of educational technology
· Understand 21st learning environment and learners
· Courses using multi-media based on teaching-learning theories
· Various issues on media and education in their own context
Methods of Completing Course Objectives
· Book reviews
· Ferster, B. (2014). Teaching machines: learning from the intersection of education and technology. JHU Press.
· Collins, A., & Halverson, R. (2009). Rethinking education in the age of technology: The digital revolution and schooling in America. Teachers College Press.
· Mobile Application
· Term Paper
· Choose 1 topic from course objective
III. Textbooks (Required Books)
Ferster, B. (2014). Teaching machines: learning from the intersection of education and technology. JHU Press.
Collins, A., & Halverson, R. (2009). Rethinking education in the age of technology: The digital revolution and schooling in America. Teachers College Press.
Google account needed
IV. Course Requirements & Grading
Complete all assignments by due date. Attendance and participation is critical
*You should follow the formatting guideline found in the school website (Academics > Academic Policy > Writing Standards)
V. Policies and Procedures
- Grading Scale:
- Late Submission of Assignments
- All assignments are expected to be turned in on time. Any assignment overdue will incur a point deduction of 20%. You will have 1 week to submit work after due date. After a week, no late work will be accepted.
- An ‘I’ (Incomplete) grade could be given in the following cases: i) Death of grandparents, parents, spouse or parents-in-law, siblings, children, ii) Traffic accidents, serious illness which needs hospitalization.
- Attendance Policy
- (1) Unexcused absences for more than 1/4 of the class will result in an automatic F.
(2) One case of tardiness or early departure from the class counts as 1/3 of an absence.
(3) Absences for the following reasons may be regarded as excused absence by handing in the Report of Absence to the instructor, and be counted as present. However, if the total number of absences including the excused absences is 1/3 of the class or more, the student will receive an F.
- Death of grandparents, parents, spouse or parents-in-law, siblings, or children
- Call up for military service
- When the student participates in a TTGU’s special event with the approval of the Dean of Academic Programs
- Natural disaster
- Hospitalization of the student caused by accident or illness; In case of hospitalization for childbirth, male students may have up to 5 consecutive days of excused absence.
VI. Weekly Schedule & Assignments (Tentative and subject to change as semester progresses)
- HW- create website with Homepage, Assignments, and Vita/Resume (sample assignment page)
- Self Introduction using Google Slide
3/6 Week 2 Topics of the class, change/development of media in teaching-learning and educational technology
- Kahoot (create at least 10 questions) Either share via Kahoot or screenshot
- Website, homepage, assignments, and Vita/resume
- Bring books by 4/3
3/13 Week 3 Understanding 21st century learning and learners
- Plickers (screen shot)
- Set up book notes share with instructor
- Survey. Create in class
- Create 2
- First one is for yourself so any topic is fine.
- Second survey, make it at least 5 multiple choice type question. You will need question 1 to be name and question 2 to be email address. (So, you will have at least 7 total entries.
- Flubaroo (demo only)
3/20 Week 4 Multi-media design principles for teaching
- EdPuzzle, making interactive videos. Create two and link to assignment page
3/27 Week 5 Change and development of media and education from the perspective of educational technology
- Group Google Slide show on application that you will present
- should contain pictures and directions
- at least 3 slides or more
- once your section is complete, make a copy of the class google slide and embed your personal copy to your site
4/3 Week 6 Educational issues day 1
- Bring books to class (choose chapter to present)
- Assignments due. Please make sure your homepage is linked from the class picture page
- Introduction slide
- Self picture page
- Class notes
- Book Review set up
- Two Surveys
- Two EdPuzzles
4/10 Week 7 Educational issues day 2
4/17 Week 8 Methods of online instruction
- ToonDoo comics
4/24 Week 9 Research day
5/1 Week 10 Educational activities and applications used in schools
5/8 Week 11 TBA
- prepare for presentation
5/15 Week 12 TBA
- Application/web presentation
5/22 No Class-Budda's Birthday
5/29 Week 13 Educational activities and applications used in schools presentation day 1 (Book #2 review due)
6/5 Week 14 Educational activities and applications used in schools presentation day 2
- Book chapter presentation
6/12 Week 15 Final term paper due
- 3 page summary
- 1/2 page reflection
- 4 references
- double space
- 12 font