PTO POSITION DESCRIPTIONS
PTO POSITION DESCRIPTIONS
- President. Directs and coordinates the activities of the organization, presides over all meetings, serves as a liaison between this organization, school and school district, responsible for programs presented to the organization.
- Vice President. Assists PTO President in all duties as needed, including organizing board and committee positions. Ideally plans to take on President the following year if the position is available.
- Secretary. Attends and records the minutes of meetings and distributes copies of minutes to the organization.
- Treasurer. Manages incoming and outgoing funds money for the PTO. Position requires someone with a flexible schedule that allows time to pick up checks for deposit or distribute reimbursements to staff or PTO committee members. Much of the work can be done at home and on your own schedule. The busiest times for the Treasurer are during Fall Fundraiser, Spring Carnival, and the month of May (Field Trips and Budgeting). Specific responsibilities include: 1. track all receipts and expenditures. 2. prepare an annual budget (along with the board). 3. provide monthly financial reports to the board. 4. receive and deposit all funds. 5. pay out funds (payments and reimbursements per the budget. 6. present a year-end, financial report to the board, principal, and CSISD business office for audit.
- Volunteer Coordinator. Coordinates volunteers for events and activities throughout the year.
Coordinators and Committees
- 4th Grade Graduation. Serves as the main parent contact for 4th grade graduation for the teachers and for the parent volunteers the day of the event.
- Book Fair. Book Fair Coordinator shall decorate and manage a Fall and Spring Book Fair alongside the librarian.
- Carnival- Auction Assistant. Serves as assistant to the carnival auction/raffle committee person.
- Carnival- Auction/Raffle. Responsible for all donations made to Southwood Valley Spring Carnival Silent Auction. Maintains donation solicitation letter and donor contact list. Is responsible for notifying winning bidders, collecting all money and delivering items at the end of carnival.
- Carnival- Decorations. Plans and creates decorations for the Spring Carnival. This position will be the main person of contact for the carnival work day that takes place a few weeks before the event.
- Carnival- Food. Researches food and beverage options for the carnival and makes all food purchases. Serves as the contact for food and beverages during the event.
- Carnival- Games. Solicits family and business donors for the games before the event. Serves as the onsite event contact for all volunteers and for games setup.
- Carnival- Publicity Updates local community calendars, schedule television and/or radio appearances, advertise donors on social media and websites, develop and manage social media events. This position will work closely with the PTO communications committee.
- Carnival- Teacher Auction. Creates flyer for teacher distribution of auction items for donation. Will create onsite bid sheets and set-up onsite auction tables. Follows up with winning bidders and teachers on winning auctions.
- Carnival Team Leader. Coordinates all positions within the Spring Carnival Committee and serves as the main point of contact for staff and parents.
- Carnival- Ticket Sales. Creates flyer with ticket information and distributes. Fulfills early ticket sales and coordinates ticket sales for day of the carnival.
- Carnival- Volunteers – Coordinates volunteers throughout the community to work onsite during the carnival as needed.
- Coat Drive. Coordinates with Southwood Valley’s counselor to figure donation needs. Sends information to parents, keeps track of donations and fulfills requests.
- Collections. Collections is responsible for facilitating all of the programs (Box Tops, Labels For Education, Kroger Community Rewards and Target donations) that earn supplemental money for the PTO.
- Communications. Responsible for gathering information to keep our school families up to date on everything going on via newsletters, remind, website, social media, etc.
- Fall Fundraiser Team Leader. Serves as the main point of contact for the Fall Festival and Fall Fundraiser. Coordinates groups to serve as entertainment and provides food/snacks during the event.
- Fall Fundraiser Team. Contributes to the planning of the Fall Festival as well as the Fall Fundraiser.
- Food Drive Chair – CSISD. Coordinates food drive activities for Southwood Valley in the Spring.
- Landscape Coordinator. Coordinates any landscape and beautification projects on school property. These projects may include touching up paint and signage and coordinating Big Event participation. All projects should be coordinated with school administrators to determine what work should be done by the district staff and what work can be delegated to volunteers.
- Lost and Found Coordinator. Organizes and maintains communication to parents and staff about lost and found items.
- Marquee. Changes out the wording on the marquee in front of the school when needed.
- Movie Nights Team. Plans the movie nights with PTO and staff. Creates and distributes flyers to the school. Serves as the onsite contact and coordinator for the movie night.
- Musical Program Hospitality. This position organizes service of refreshments after the evening musical program for each grade level. There are typically five programs during the school year. The coordinator will obtain the refreshments/supplies and work with volunteers to set up and serve the refreshments after the musical. PTO funds the cost of refreshments and the VIPs coordinator assists with volunteer signups.
- Scholarship Chair. This position is in charge of forming a scholarship committee in the Spring consisting of 3-5 members (including the chairperson). The chairperson will evaluate the applications from High School Seniors and alumni of SWV, along with the committee, and then notify all the applicants of the committee’s decision.
- Special Projects Advisor. Responsible for coordinating with other committees on resource needs (research, flyers, etc.) to ensure each program is successful. Responsible for collaborating with various committees as needed for research and proofing/development of flyers.
- Student Recognition. This position solicits vendors for new awards, coupons, etc.,Pick up vendor donations with application for approval, apply for approval with central office for those items, print, cut, assemble and keep a constant inventory on hand in the front office of each category (All A Honor Roll, AB Honor Roll, Perfect Attendance, Bug Awards, and Terrific Kids), order new supplies as needed, send out hand written thank you cards to each vendor, assemble any where from 4,000-6,500 each school year.
- Teacher/Staff Appreciation Asst. Assists the chair with all Teacher/Staff Appreciation activities throughout the year.
- Teacher/Staff Appreciation Chair. Coordinates all Teacher/Staff Appreciation activities throughout the year. Includes providing snacks for faculty meetings, gifts for special occasions/holidays, coordinating breakfast/lunch for in-service days and coordinating lunches/snacks during STAAR testing and Teacher Appreciation Week.
- T-Shirt Chair. T-shirt chair is responsible for the design, ordering and distribution of the school shirt.
- T-shirt Donation/Sponsorship – Solicit donations for t-shirts. Coordinate the creation, purchase and distribution of school t-shirts.
- T-Shirt Sponsorship. Solicit local business to be sponsors for the t-shirt. The design and distribution can’t happen if we don’t have the money to pay for it.
- Work Room Helper Coordinator Assists staff in the workroom. Coordinates workroom helper schedule.
- Yearbook Layout Coordinator. Creates, completes and publishes the yearbook for the school. This includes working with parents, the photography company and school personnel to gather photos and information. This position will work closely with the yearbook company representatives. This position starts working in August and normally publishes by April 1st. This position will also schedule photographers to cover events and activities throughout the year.
- Yearbook Sales Leader. Maintains purchase list and collects money for all yearbook sales. Responsible for sending home sales information to parents, keeps up with all student donations, as well as sorting and delivery of yearbooks at the end of the school year.