Welcome to La Palma Cub Scout Pack 673! If you are interested in joining our Cub Scout Pack, please contact us at email@example.com
INCOMING TRANSMISSION: "This is General Leia Organa, leader of the Resistance. On the 24th of February, we will have a grand celebration for our Webelos 2. Please bring your best galactic delectables because the Resistance fighters and soon-to-be knights have quite the appetite. Fear not the First Order troopers that will try to disrupt our supply train. You are our only hope!"
Blue and Gold is coming up on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 6:30pm. Not only is it a birthday celebration for BSA, it's also the bridging ceremony for our Webelos 2 scouts into Boy Scouts! It's not just a cheese and crackers affair, so let's all pitch in for the festivities. Immediate family members are welcome, and the Webelos 2 will have extended family too. We'll even have special guests come to recognize our boys, so let's do this party right!! Please sign up here. You can just type right in your browser and it will save automatically. If the sheet is getting full, we'll add more rows.
Please let your den leaders know as soon as possible if you are planning on attending the Patriot Day Flag ceremony this coming Friday.
ONLY THOSE SCOUTS WHO HAVE CONTACTED THEIR DEN LEADERS WILL HAVE A GUARANTEED SPOT IN THE FLAG CEREMONY.
What: Patriot Day Flag Ceremony
Where: Del Valle Park Youth Center: google maps link to Del Valle Park Youth Center
When: 5:00 pm, Friday, 9/11/15
What to Wear: CLASS A UNIFORMS ONLY -- PLEASE LOOK YOUR BEST AND REPRESENT YOUR PACK AND COUNTRY!
Why Your Scouts Should Attend: To commemorate the tragic events of September 11, 2001 and respect those who have served and who continue to serve in the fight against terrorism.
This message is just to remind you that our end-of-year potluck will be on this Wednesday, 6/10/15, at 6:30 pm, Luther MPR.
If you haven't done so, please sign up to bring a food item.
I hope to see you all there!
WHAT: End-of-Year Potluck
WHEN: Wednesday, 6/10/15, 6:30 - 8:00 pm
WHERE: Luther MPR
SIGN UP SHEET: POTLUCK SIGNUP SHEET
Please wear your Class A Uniform!
9:15 - 10:15 Ceremony in front of City Hall.
8:45 Traffic on Walker St. is closed off.
8:45 Write letters to Servicemen and Servicewomen.
8:15 - 8:45 am Help pass out flags.
The City of La Palma has a Memorial Day Ceremony on Monday 5/25/15 at 7822 Walker St, La Palma.The scouts can help with the following civic duties:
Hi everyone! Melina H. will be organizing the cub scouts to volunteer at the Disney half marathon on Sunday Sept 6, 2015.
All the cub scouts have to do is dress in their uniform (class A), arrive at 5am at Angels Stadium and cheer the runners that will be running through the stadium from 5:30am- 9:30am. In return, the cub scouts will receive a complimentary Disneyland ticket valid for a future visit, up to a year from Sept 6, 2015. Late arrivals and early departure forfeits the cub scout from their free ticket.
For more information, please see http://www.disneylandevents.com/half-marathon/welcome
To sign up, please enter your cub scouts' name and full birth date on the link below. I will take care of the registration for the pack. Please sign up by June 10, 2015. This is a first-come first served for all of SoCal, and I need to submit in our application for the pack. Once I receive confirmation, I will update everyone with more details.
Thank you! Any questions, please free to contact Melina H.
As you know, I will be stepping down as Cubmaster of Pack 673 after next month. In addition, Committee Chair Chris Lonsbury, treasurer Rich Sarigumba, and technology wiz “kid” Don Szeto will be stepping aside as well. What this means, of course, is that we have a need for people to fill a number positions, in addition to those listed above.
After the den meeting on Wednesday, June 3, 2015, we will hold elections for next year’s officers, and I strongly encourage each one of you to consider stepping up and taking on one of the vacant leadership positions. As a volunteer organization, our strength derives from the willingness of people like you to rise to the occasion and to serve.
Please allow me to remind you the reasons why we consider taking on more responsibility at a time when we feel that we already have enough concerns.
1. Our sons. To put it as simply as possible, we’re not involved in Cub Scouts because it’s good for our complexion! We’re in it because we believe that by taking part in this organization, our sons will grow into wonderful young men who are thoughtful, independent, and who demonstrate the values, character, and leadership that our country, our world, needs right now. We want them to learn to appreciate the outdoors through events like camping; we want them to learn to have confidence when interacting with people; we want them to have fun, and realize that there is more to life than playing video games. For these dreams to be realized, we have to be willing to organize events like the Pinewood Derby Race, or Fall Encampment, and although you already do so much to enrich the lives of your children, this is the time when they need you the most.
2. You. Believe it or not, taking on responsibility is an occasion for personal growth. While I sometimes grumble to myself about having to attend a meeting or lead a particular event, I have come to realize that I have become better at organizing events, and I have also experienced the deep satisfaction of planning an event and watching things fall into place.
3. Family. It is easy to tell yourself, “I’ll get to it later,” when it comes to spending time with your family. The truth is, however, that we cannot predict what the future holds, and we actually have much less time with our loved ones, especially our children, than we think. Taking on a leadership position ensures that you will spend quality time with your children in structured activities, and form bonds that will serve the basis of fond memories.
4. Friendship. Your sons will have the opportunity in Scouts to form bonds that last a lifetime, and here is a secret that you may not have considered: you too, will find that the more involved, you are, the more opportunities you will have to form lasting bonds with the parents of other Scouts.
Below is a list of leadership positions that need to be filled. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Yours in Scouting, Friendship, and Family,
Open Leadership Positions:
Cubmaster: cubmaster description
Assistant Cubmaster: assistant cubmaster description
Committee Chair: committee chair description (scroll down) – Michael Ho (tentative)
Membership Chair: membership chair description (scroll down)
Treasurer: treasurer description (scroll down) – Mark Waldman (tentative)
Advancement Chair: advancement chair description (scroll down)
Assistant to Activities Coordinator
· Tigers: ??
· Wolves: Benjie Kim (tentative)
· Bears: David Sorrells (tentative)
· Webelos I: Diego Alvarez (tentative)
· Webelos II: Mark Scheier (tentative)
I have additional information for you about Lake Oso / Spring Encampment.
1) Below is the schedule for last year. I assume this year's agenda will be similar.
2000: Cracker Barrel Mtg for Pack Leaders
0815: Flag Ceremony
1630: Flag Ceremony
2) As I noted earlier, we are on our own in terms of food, but I think it's a good idea to talk to friends or fellow den members about sharing some cooking responsibilities. Remember, there are fast food restaurants and grocery stores within 10 minutes drive -- no one will go hungry.
3) There will be a flag ceremony on Saturday morning and afternoon. Please have your scouts bring their class A uniforms if possible.
4) ATTENTION ALL PARENTS WHO ARE COMING ON SATURDAY ONLY: PLEASE GO BACK TO THE Lake Oso sign-up page AND INDICATE IF YOU ARE COMING FOR SATURDAY ONLY (DAY USE) - THERE IS A NEW COLUMN, "CAMPING OVERNIGHT OR DAY USE." THE REDUCED RATE FOR DAY VISITORS IS $7 / PERSON.
Please let me or your den leaders know if you have any questions or concerns.
Yours in Scouting, Lyman (LYMANHPACK673@GMAIL.COM)