Probate Records of Samuel Cromleholme & his wife Mary.

Samuel Cromleholme  [Cro0479]  in July 1672 without making a will. His widow, Mary Cromleholme (nee Bury) [Cro0480]  became his administrator and the following documents (all photographed at The National Archives, Kew, London and transcribed by RC Sept 2012) have added a great amount of detail to my research :

PROB 5/545    Samuel Cromleholme - inventory and accounts October 1673
PROB 5/245    Samuel Cromleholme - charges / discharges October 1673
PROB 5/3567  Samuel Cromleholme - additions to accompt  Feb 1677

Samuel's widow Mary Cromleholme  [Cro0479]   to Templecombe in Somerset after his death. It appears that they had some property interests in the area probably originally belonging to her father Richard Bury. Pelsham Farm at Buckhorn Weston, Dorset was one property owned (see details in the probate records and also short piece from National Archives below).

Mary lived another 20 years here and died late in 1691. Her probate records state that she was buried in Templecombe in Somerset (near to the Dorset border) but no burial record has been found as yet.  

PROB 5/4302  Mary Cromleholme - charges / discharges January 1692
PROB 5/4302  Mary Cromleholme - inventory and accounts made in May but signed November 1692

There are also two further related documents concerning claims made by John Church (a nephew of Samuel's sister Margarott (married name Nithalls) for a stake in Samuel's estate. These are petitions made to a Judge sitting in Doctor's Commons in London. One petition states that it is the third such one made - the final outcome is not known but there is no mention of any provision made in Mary Cromleholme's probate. The petitions are not dated but they noted Samuel's widow Mary and they must therefore predate her death.   

PROB 32/18/144 & 146 - Petitions (2 No) of John Church

Pelsham Farm (74512355), house, is two-storeyed and has walls of ashlar and of rubble, and slate-covered roofs. The plan is L-shaped and the principal range, on the N., is of the late 17th century; the S. wing is perhaps of the first half of the same century. The N. front is symmetrical and of five bays, with a central doorway and uniform casement windows, each of two square-headed lights with moulded architraves; the windows of the lower storey have plain aprons rising above offsets in the moulded plinth. A plat-band marks the level of the first floor. Inside, the N. range has a class-T plan, with the earlier S. range constituting a service wing. The roof has original collar-beam trusses. At the S. end of the S. range is a 19th-century extension.