Long/Weekend Rides

In addition to my morning Central Park training, I've been getting out doing longer rides (50+ miles).

I had the pleasure of riding to Piermont, New York, with Dr. Ed one workday when he played hookie from the hospital.  It's such a liberating feeling riding in the middle of the work week in the middle of the day.  Armed with this new route on 9W, I rode with fellow SIGgy, Bill, to Piermont that following Saturday.  Nice hills on this route.  Wonderful waterfront gazebo/lawn to relax and have lunch once you reach Piermont.

The very next day, Father's Day Sunday, I went to Mamaroneck Harbor, again with Dr. Ed.  We rode on probably the hottest day in New York City this year.  It was 95 degrees and had all the 3 H's - humid hot hazy.  We passed by beautiful houses as well as the U.S. Open (golf).  Coming home, we climbed the fabled Riccardi Bypass (6-10% grades).  No problem - bring on the Rocky Mountains!  Funny thing happened coming home.  These 2 punks rode up next to us in their ill-fitted bikes, milling around us as if to ask for a challenge and passed us.  Dr. Ed asked if I was going to take them on.  I replied, "after they put on 45 miles first."  So, he leaves me and begins to pass each kid.  With each passing, he remarks, "maybe next year, kid."  I could see each kid laughing as he got passed.  Of course they looked back at me to see if I was going to challenge them.  Again, make them ride 45 miles in 95 degree weather first then we'll talk.

If you can believe it, the very next day, I rode by myself to Piermont again.  I surprise myself that I can do 3 back-to-back days of 50 miles each day and feel completely fine.  No pains at all.  Good to know since I have 90 days of riding ahead of me.  150 miles in 3 days.  That's more than the distance from Northern Virginia to Charlottesville, Virginia (yes, home to Thomas Jefferson's University of Virginia).  Next time I go to UVA, I'll have to do it on bike.

Since my marathon training (once I got back from my travels, and missing my bike very much, I biked 250 miles within 7 days (1 day off for yoga/rest)), it's been raining non-stop in New York.  I didn't get out on my bike for one whole weekend.  When the skies finally cleared up, I went riding with a group of B17s.  Funny story how I met them.  I was on the subway during rush hour traffic one evening to get my bike fine tuned.  While most people expressed annoyance that I would bring such a beast on the subway during rush hour, this one guy, More (yes, his name is More), chatted with me.  He's happens to also be in the NYCC.  After a long commute out to Brooklyn, he gave me his card and invited me to join his posse on a Thursday farewell ride for one of his friends moving to Denver.  After 2 flats (not me), the five of us (More, Liz, Allison, Jeanette and me) headed to the Palisades Parkway/River Road.  Unfortunately, this required going across the George Washington Bridge.  The south entrance (with a ramp) was closed due to construction; this meant I had to carry my bike up and down hundreds of steps on the north entrance.  Did I mention my beast is 28 pounds?  It's so heavy.  Once across the bridge and in the park, the ride was nice and hilly.  I'm proud to say that going up hill most of the way for 7 miles on my heavy touring bike, I was only 15 seconds behind the last B17er.  Going home, I had to carry the beast up and down those same 100s of steps of the GW Bridge.  Once at home, I had all these aches and pains that I normally don't have after a ride.  I blame it completely on carrying the beast up and down the steps.  It's too bad because training on River Road is the best thing I can do to get ready for the Rocky Mountains.

Here I am pushing my bike up the stairs and carrying it going down (it's too steep to use that ramp).