Warm Showers Dot Com - Wabash - 7/27/2006

Here are some pictures of the cyclist only shelter the day after:

After my 65 mile day yesterday, I was pretty beat today.  We finally saw a Share the Road sign in Indiana.  Don't know why Ohio couldn't put up just one of those signs.  So far, the roads are much better in Indiana.  Here we are into the great wide open and on the road to nowhere.

Into the great wide open,
Under them skies of blue
Out in the great wide open,
A rebel without a clue

We're on a road to nowhere
Come on inside
Takin that ride to nowhere
Well take that ride

For breakfast, we stopped at a gas station convience store called "Tiny Town Market".  It may be a tiny town market but the prices were not tiny.

After riding a bit, we came upon a intersection with a major route.  We stopped for some water, etc.  When we were ready to go, I clipped in and started "Fred Flintstoning" up closer to the road so I could see the traffic.  Then out of the blue, a big gust of wind came and knocked me right over.  I couldn't clip out in time and lied flat on the road.  (Don't worry, I'm not in the intersection just yet.)  A few cars saw my fall or me lying in the road and stopped to see if I was okay.  I told them everything was fine and thank you for asking/stopping.  After administering first aid (Neosporin and a band-aid) to myself to my leg and my right elbow, we crossed the intersection.  Once on the other side of the road, I noticed things wrong with my bike, particularly my seat and right shifters were crooked.  Dave muscled these two components back into place.  Before we could take off, we heard an ambulance.  Then, we realized the ambulance was for me!  Dave said, "you've got to be kidding."  Apparently one/some of the cars that stopped called an ambulance.  I guess that's nice because they didn't really know if I was okay (although I said I was okay).  In fact, 2 ambulances came and 2 police cars (one real and one undercover).  The peramedics attended to me while the cops talked to Dave.  The cops were asking what kind of car hit me because I guess they thought it was a hit and run incident.  Thankfully that was not the case.  Just a strong gust of wind (or perhaps me being retarded and just didn't have enough momentum when I started and couldn't clip out in time).  I want to believe and stick to my story that it was the strong wind because that was the initial thought that went into my head when I fell.  Anyhow, I told the peramedics I was okay so they made me sign some paperwork stating that I refused help.

Miles down the road, we came across a small convience store also serving food.  Hungry from our small breakfast from the Tiny Town Market, we hoovered an entire 14 inch pizza for lunch.  The cook asked the waitress if we knew about the sizes of the pizza and the waitress said that yes, she showed us the different diagrams of the pizzas posted on the wall.  We didn't have too much trouble eating the whole pie.  I'd say we slowed down on the last slice (each), but before that, we were going strong.

At lunch, I also called a contact we found at Warm Showers.  Warm Showers is a service provided to cyclists where people sign up to host cyclists coming through town.  It's a great service.  We've been trying it in every town we hit but the odds of finding a host family in small town X is pretty small.  But this time, we somehow got a hit.  I talked to our host, Dave (I will refer to him as Host-Dave going forward to not confuse with RidingPartner-Dave), and he gave us directions to get to his place in Wabash, Indiana.  After talking to some locals about road conditions (size of the shoulder), we veered off the Adventure Cycling maps we had been following and beat the system by getting to Wabash by cycling C squared instead of the A squared by B squared.

So we rode on Route 24 for a while.  It was a 2 lane (each way) divided highway (grass in the middle) with a wide shoulder.  For the most part, it was fairly safe.  We even saw 2 cross country cyclists in the other side of the highway.  They shouted out, "where are you going?"  I replied, "San Francisco."  They replied, "New Hampshire."  Fun.  They, too, beat the system by farther and faster on a non-Adventure Cycling proposed route.

We got dumped on by heavy rains twice.  Luckily it was a warm rain.  The rain was so heavy that I had to windshield wipe my face with my hands in order to see.  Also, my socks were completely soaked - you know that sloshy feel?  After a while, this car from the other side of the highway honked with enthusiasm.  Thinking the driver was just a fan of cross country cyclists, I waved back.  Then, a minute later, I see the car on our shoulder and I'm thinking, "man, he must really like cross country cyclists and just wanted to hear our story."  Then I noticed his camera and realized it was probably our host, Host-Dave.  I asked and he replied in the affirmative.  How fun.  Dave came out to greet us on the highway, take pictures and escort us home.

Here's my bike once we got off the road.  Talk about dirty!

Host-Dave and his wife Lavina welcomed us into their nice home.  I got the "princess" bedroom while Dave slept in the basement.  After a warm shower, laundry and some Internet time, we had a delicious dinner of salad, cheese garlic bread, corn and BBQ chicken.  Everything was good, but we were most happy to have the corn since we've seen nothing but corn on the road.  Even if we wanted to bogart some corn from the field, we didn't have any means of boiling/grilling it.

Host-Dave is planning on going cross country on the Southern Tier next year so he had lots of questions for us.  It was great sharing our story and "wisdom" with him.  After dinner, the four of us went to a local ice cream shop where their son and grandson also happened to be.  The ice cream was so good and what got me was how inexpensive it was.  3 scoops of ice cream for the 4 of us cost $4.50.  Isn't that the cost of one scoop of ice cream in New York?

After ice cream, I washed my bike and lubed my chain.  Host-Dave even had a workstand for my convience.