- 1 c. milk
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 package of dry yeast
- 1 c. warm water
- 1/4 c. melted shortening
- 4 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 c. spelt flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk until it starts to bubble. Remove from heat.
- Mix the sugar into the milk. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Set aside the saucepan.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast into warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until the water has formed bubbles & looks milky.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk mixture, yeast mixture, shortening, and whole wheat flour. Mix until smooth.
- Add in the salt & spelt flour. Knead the dough & place into a greased bowl. Cover bowl and let rise.
- Once risen, roll the dough out, it should be roughly 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter, or any other round object such as a drinking glass.
- Sprinkle waxed paper and rounds of dough with cornmeal. Lay out the rounds of dough onto the waxed paper. Cover and let rise for 1/2 hour.
- Heat a cast iron skillet and cook muffins on medium heat for 10 minutes each side.
- Allow to cool for 60 minutes and place in plastic bags for storage.