- Creatively Lu's Red Velvet Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting (Served in a Mason Jar)
- Yields: 30 small cupcakes
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 bottle (1 oz. red food coloring)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4.c unsalted butter (melted.)
- 2 T. sour cream
- 3 T. vanilla extract
- 1 16 oz. box of powdered sugar
For the cupcakes:
For the cream cheese frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and butter with a mixer for 5 minutes, or until light and airy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream, milk, food color, and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture on low speed, just until combined. Spoon batter into lightly sprayed, or paper lined, muffin tins, filling each cup until 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and place onto wire racks to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and vanilla in a large bowl, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar until smooth. Set aside
- Take a mason jar, and place 1 cupcake at the bottom.
- Frost the cupcake in the mason jar with cream cheese frosting.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2.
- With twine, tie on plastic spoon (facing upwards)
- Add a label of your choice.