Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
For the Cake:
(Makes one 9-inch cake. The recipe called for a 9x3 inch round pan, but I only have a 9x2 round pan so that is what I used. The batter filled the pan a little too much, so next time I will not use all the batter in my pan and make a cupcake or two.)
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup natural (unsweetened) cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs (at room temperature)
1/3 cup whole milk (at room temperature)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x3-inch round cake pan (if you have one, a 9x2-inch if you don’t). Dust the pan with flour and set aside. (I cut a piece of parchment paper to set in the bottom of my pan, then grease and flour that. It helps with removal.)
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the sugar and, using the paddle attachment, mix at low speed until blended. Add the vegetable oil and mix a few seconds, until the dry ingredients are crumbly.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and until blended. Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract until blended. With the mixer at low speed, add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Gradually add the boiling water and mix just until blended and smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake the cake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
5. Invert the cake onto the wire rack or cutting board and cool completely.
For the frosting:
2 sticks of room temperature butter
2 ½ cups of powdered sugar
½ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
Cream together the butter and sugar. Gradually add the cocoa powder (be careful – it’s very messy. GO SLOW!) Add the cream to get the consistency for spreading. Add the vanilla. Frost your cake as desired
(I didn’t frost this cake, I left the frosting on the side, so I’m not sure how much you will officially need. This recipe will probably be more than enough!)
The recipe said “keeps at room temperature for up to five days”. Yeah, right. Like it’ll last that long! :)
Cake recipe from The Cake Book (by Tish Boyle)
Frosting recipe from BakedBree.com
Printed from www.CrazyforCrust.com