RESEARCH GUIDELINES AND POLICIES
1. All research proposals, whether funded or not, should be registered at the Research Office through the Department Chair.
3. Upon receipt of the documents, the Research Office Secretariat will issue an Acknowledgement letter addressed to the proponent, furnishing a copy to the Chair of the Department.
4. The chair of the College Research Office will determine if technical review is necessary.
5. If the proposal has already undergone technical review, and the research will not be conducted in UP Manila, the proponent will be required to merely submit a certification from the Technical Review Board that has done the review.
6. If the research has not undergone technical review but it will be conducted in UP Manila, the proposal should be submitted to the CPH Technical Review Board (CPH-TRB) for review. The Chair of the Research Office will identify two technical reviewers (content and process experts) who will be assigned for the proposal. A copy of the proposal will then be sent to the reviewers.
7. For the Researches that will be conducted in UP Manila. Proponents can either tap the CPH-TRB, and/ or the Technical Review Board of the Research Implementation and development Office of the College of Medicine. If researches will be conducted in the Philippine General Hospital (PGH), the protocol should be also submitted Expanded Hospital Research Office of PGH. For CPH researches, the alternative Institutional Review body will be RIDO.
8. Two weeks from submission of the proposal given to the Technical reviewers, the result of the review will be collected from the technical reviewers and collated by the Research Office Secretariat. (Note: Form to be used by the technical reviewers will be adapted from RIDO for uniformity.)
9. In case the proposal needs revisions, the Research Office will provide a copy of the summarized comments, questions and suggestions of the technical reviewers to the proponent for appropriate action. Until such time that the proposal is acceptable to the CPH-TRB, the proposal will continue to be returned to the proponent.
10. Once approved, the CPH-TRB shall furnish the letter of approval and the revised protocol to the College research Committee, the Department Chair, and the proponent.
11. The Chair of the Research Office will determine the need for an ethical review. The choice of TRB and/ or ERB that will review the proposal can be selected by the proponent or as required by the funding agency. The proponent needs to inform the Research Office in deciding to use a TRB and/ or ERB other than CPH-TRB and REB UP MANILA.
12. For proposals that do not have ethical issues, a letter informing the chair of the department will be given.
13. If the proposal has already undergone ethical review and the research will not be conducted in UP Manila, the proponent will be required to submit a certification from the Ethics Review Board that has conducted the review.
14. If the research has not undergone ethical review but it will be conducted in UP Manila, the proposal together with the letter of approval by the TRB will be endorsed by the Chair of the Research Office to the REB UP MANILA.
15. The Department chair submits recommendations for credit load of the research to the Dean. The Dean shall also endorse this credit loading to the Vice Chancellor for Research. The faculty will be given a corresponding load only when the proposal is ready to be implemented. (TRB and ERB approved).
16. The Vice Chancellor for Research will then endorse the credit load of the faculty to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.