Sports‎ > ‎

Chapelizod Cricket Club

"Is there anything yis didn't have or do in the 'Lizard?" asked the incredulous woman.


Chapelizod Cricket Club was in existence from about 1947 to 1962. The following is an account from the Evening Herald about a semi-final and final in the Junior Cup.Chapelizod asked that the final be postponed as a numbe of its players were on holidays but the match went ahead anyway. Reda the outcome below.







Chapelizod in first decider

Chapelizod have a already made history by reaching the final of the Junior Cup for the first time and the heroes of their semi-final win over Leinster last week were un­doubtedly J. Kenny and M. Browne, who brought their total from 105 for seven to 207, before the innings closed at 225.

Although Leinster made a gallant effort to get the runs, they failed by 41 runs, having batted on Sunday, Monday and Thursday.

Chapelizod got off to a good start when R. Malone (30) and D.    Clifford (46) collared the attack, but subsequently there was a collapse until Kenny and Browne came together and despite the varied attacks of eight Leinster bowlers, including P. Cremin (3 for 83) and P. Dillon (4 for 41), these two added 102, Kenny getting 61 and his partner 43.

Solid batting right through the order enabled Leinster to put up a determined struggle and the honours for this fight-back went to T. Dillon (35), P. Dillon (27),

P.   Cremin (24) and J. McDon­nell (24).


Big task

However, the task was just beyond them and Stevens (3 for 75) and Miller (4 for 65) finished off the good work of the Chapelizod batsmen by taking the bulk of the Leinster wickets for a memorable victory.

The final between Clontarf and Chapelizod was listed for this week-end, but because they can­not field a lull team, due to holidays, Chapelizod have asked that the game be put back.

It would certainly be a pity if their great effort to date was spoiled by the fact that they had to field an understrength team in the decider, but I am sure that Clontarf would much prefer to do battle with a “complete” Chapelizod XI and it seems certain the final will not, take place until Saturday week at least.


Chapelizod playing in Flannigan's field (behind the RC Church)



                                     The Big Day - Travelled 300 miles to win cup


                                                Junior Cricket by ON_DRIVE

THREE Chapelizod players travelled over 300 miles last week-end to help their club in the Junior Cup final against Clontarf and their journey was not in vain, because two of the three concerned played major parts in Chapelizod’s victory by eight wickets, thus gaining for the club their first success in the competition.

Ken McClay, Charlie Miller and Noel Miller motored from Portrush on Saturday morning and subsequently returned to continue their holidays, but the trip did not affect their form or stamina.

Charlie Miller showed all-round brilliance by scoring 35 not out, and as he had previously taken five for 35 in 22 overs, it was fitting that he should hit the winning runs in fitting fashion with a glorious six.


Cautious start

Clontarf, who battled first, started cautiously, but against the steady bowline of C. McClay (4 for 33) and C. Miller, only K Lewis (27) and D. O’Sullivan (27) showed confidence.


Apart from these the rest of the Clontarf batting proved weak, and they eventually set the opposition a target of 113 for victory.


Chapelizod had a shock when T. O’Farrell was sent back to the pavilion without scoring but then Ken McClay showed that he was not going to waste his journey down from Portrush and after D. Clifford (19) had been run out, he was joined by Charlie Miller in an unbroken third wicket partnership. McClay’s contribution reached a suitable climax when he got his 50 and the match finished with Miller’s six.


It was a brilliant ending to a memorable campaign for Chapelizod and their next worry will be to retain the trophy, but that is next season’s work.

(L-R) Back Row: Sam Hewitt, George O’Connor, Dick Malone,Noel Thompson, Jim Concannon, Harry O’Hara, Des O’Farrell (Umpire)

(Mid-Row) Benny Taylor, Terry Ö’Farrell, Walter Kendrew (Captain)

(Front) Brendan Carroll & P. Dunne