following are selected free and 'open source' transportation software products worth checking
- Albatross - An open source Air Traffic Management (ATM) software development project and community.
- Automotive Repair Shop Suite - One of many free and open source auto repair shop software products.
- Federal Railroad Administration GIS Mapping Tool - Free geographic information mapping tool available online from the U.S. government.
- FlightAware - Offers free flight tracking services for both private and commercial air traffic and sponsors a range of open source aviation projects.
- FlightGear - An open source flight simulator project and software solution.
- Genivi - An open source In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) development platform.
- Intelligent Roadway Information System (IRIS) - An open source Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) developed by the Minnesota DOT.
- MakerPlane - Open source aviation software and hardware projects and apps.
- Multi-Agent Transport Simulation (MATSim) - Provides a framework to implement large-scale agent-based transport simulations.
- Open Source Car (OScar) - An ongoing project to develop cars using Open Source principles and technologies.
- OpenCPN - Free and open source Chartplotter and GPS Navigation Software.
- OpenPilot - An open source unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) autopilot program.
- OpenPlans – Open
source software for transportation operations and planning – from routing,
to real-time vehicle locations, to citizen participation, GIS
applications, transit system planning, and more.
- Open Rails - An open source train simulator project and software solution.
- OpenSeaMap - A worldwide open source project for creation of a free nautical database and associated seafaring maps.
- OpenTravel - Providing free and/or low cost Cargo Fleet Management software.
- OpenTripPlanner (OTP) - The leading open source platform for multi-modal trip itinerary planning and network analysis.
- OSVehicle - Open Source Vehicle company and platform for enabling new startups in the electric and hybrid vehicle industry
- OpenXC Platform - A combination of open source hardware & software that lets you
extend your vehicle capabilities with custom applications and pluggable modules.
- RailwayStation.Com – Offering a range of free or low cost
software products, e.g. maps, screensavers, images, etc.
- SimuTrans - An open-source transportation simulation game available for Windows, Mac, and Linux computer systems.
- Softrail – Providing a variety of low cost software products, e.g. Train Dispatcher, Track Builder, North
American Railroad Maps, etc.
- TRANSIMS - An open source transportation modeling and simulation toolbox
- Truck Dispatch Software - A free online, web-based truck dispatch system to help schedule and keep track of vehicles.
- TRB Transportation Resource Information Systems & Database - Providing access to more than one million records of transportation research worldwide.
* Visit the History of Railroad Unions: Software web site
Other suggested links:
- CNET List - A wide range of links to free Transportation apps & software on C/NET.
- DMOZ Open Directory - List
of many open source Transportation software & tools.
If you would like to
suggest new material or links to be added to this web site, please email