* Check out Unicon, just one of the growing number
of companies offering 'open source' solutions for Educational
Also, check out the collaborative edX
organization & course building platform.
The following are links to selected organizations focused on 'open' education & training technologies and solutions:
- Academic Earth - Founded with the goal of giving everyone on earth access to a world-class education.
- Association for the Advancement of Computers in Education - An international, not-for-profit, educational organization with the
mission of advancing Information Technology in Education and E-Learning
- Classroom 2.0 - A social networking organization and web site focused on the growing community of educators interested in learning how to better use collaborative information technologies and solutions.
- CodeAcademy - Providing free online courses to millions around the world on how to write computer code.
- Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources - Over 200 community colleges partnering to develop and use open educational resources, especially open textbooks for college courses.
- Consortium for School Networking - Empowering K-12 school districts and their technology leaders to use new education technologies and tools strategically to improve teaching and learning.
- Connexions - A virtual environment for collaboratively
developing, freely sharing, and rapidly publishing
scholarly content on the Web.
- Creative Commons - Helping people to share knowledge, research, and educational materials with others around the world. Videos
- Coursera - Offering offer high quality courses
from the top universities, for free to everyone across the globe.
- Electronic Information For Libraries (EIFL) - A global network of national library consortia advocating open access to knowledge for education & research purposes.
- Free Software Foundation (FSF) - Providing links to a range of open source education software applications and projects.
- Genspace - A non-profit community based education & research organization providing a collaborative, open source approach to developing new ideas in biotech.
- Humanitarian FOSS (HFOSS) - Providing support to instructors who are involving students in Humanitarian Free & Open Source Software projects.
- Khan Academy - A non-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free
world-class education to anyone anywhere.
- Kuali Foundation - A community of universities, colleges, businesses,
and other organizations that have partnered to build and sustain open-source administrative software for
higher education, by higher education.
- Linux Professional Institute - Advocating, training, & certifying individuals in the professional use of Linux and Free/Open Source Software (FOSS).
- MERLOT - A free and open online community of resources
designed primarily for faculty, staff and students of higher education
from around the world.
- Moodle Community - Working to give educators the best tools to manage and promote learning.
- One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) - Providing low cost hardware, content and software for collaborative, joyful, and self-empowered learning.
- Open Educational Resources (OER) Commons - Providing access to a wide range of teaching and learning materials that may be freely used and shared - for elementary schools, high schools, and universities.
- Open Learning Exchange (OLE) - Developing a world-wide network of public-private grassroots organizations committed to providing universal basic education in nations where the need exists.
- Open Source Education Foundation - Seeking to enhance k-12 education through the use of technologies and
concepts derived from the Free and Open Source Software movement.
- Open Education Consortium - A worldwide community of higher
education institutions and associated organizations committed to
advancing open education.
- Open Education Europa - European Union (EU) portal to open education resources (OER).
- Sakai Foundation - A non-profit corporation engaged in the
collaborative design, development and distribution of open-source software for
education, research and related scholarly activities.
- Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) - Supporting new communication models that expand the dissemination of
scholarly research and reduce financial pressures on libraries.
- Second Life Education Community Portal - A collaborative community of educators building and sharing cutting edge virtual reality learning environments, tools, and programs of the future.
- Teaching Open Source - This organization serves as a neutral collaboration point for everyone involved in teaching about 'open source'.
* The webmasters have assumed that individuals
visiting this site already have an extensive knowledge and interest in
open source and education IT solutions.
If you would like to
suggest new material or links to be added to this
web site, please email