The following are links to selected 'open source' software & tools for use in the Creative Arts:
- Art of Illusion - A free and open source 3D modelling and
- Artful.ly - An open source business tool for art organizations or businesses that includes modules for ticketing, fundraising, constituent management, and more.
- Audacity - A free and open source, cross-platform software tool used for recording and editing sounds.
- Avidemux - Free and open source software designed for multi-purpose video editing that can be used with almost all known computer operating systems.
- Blender - A free and open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems.
- Booktype - An open source platform to help you write, publish, and/or print books.
- Calligra Flow - An easy to use free & open source diagramming and flowcharting application.
- DarkTable - An open source photography workflow application and RAW developer. A virtual lighttable and darkroom for photographers.
(GNU Image Manipulation Program) - A multi-platform photo &
image manipulation tool. It is an open
source alternative to Photoshop.
- GNOME Projects - Hundreds of free and open source GNOME applications are available a vast range of activities, including playing
media and editing photos
- Inkscape - An open source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to
Illustrator or CorelDraw.
- Kaltura - A community developed free and open source video management platform and applications.
- KdenLive - A free and open source multi-track video editing tool.
- Krita - A full-featured, open source sketching and painting application for digital artists
- Mixxx - One of the most
popular free and open source DJ software packages in the world.
- MuseScore - Free and open source music composition and notation software.
- MyPaint - An open source graphics application for digital painters.
- Open Movie Editor - A free and open source video editing program, designed
for basic movie making capabilities.
- PhotoPrint - A free utility designed to assist in the process of printing digital photographs and posters.
- Scribus - An open source desktop publishing system with and extensive graphics tools.
- Shape Collage - An open source tool that allows you to create picture collages in any imaginable shape or form.
- Synfig Studio - Free and open-source 2D animation software solution for creating film-quality animation using vector and bitmap artwork.
- TuxPaint - A free, award-winning drawing program for children ages 3 to 12.
- VLC - A popular free and open
source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most CD, DVD, and many other files & streaming
- Xournal - A free and open source application for notetaking, sketching, and keeping a journal using a stylus on Tablet PCs and other platforms.
If you would like to
suggest new material or links to be added to this web site, please email