The following are links
to selected public domain or 'open source' clinical imaging software product, tools, and organizations:
- BioImageXD – A free 'open source'
software tool for analysis and visualization of multidimensional biomedical
- ClearCanvas - A suite of innovative open source medical imaging IT
software applications, e.g. ClearCanvas Workstation; ImageServer; ClearCanvas RIS;
ClearCanvas SDK. Videos
- ImageJ - A public domain Java image processing program that runs
either as an online applet or as a downloadable application on any computer . It
can display, edit, analyze, process, save and print 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit
images in many image formats including TIFF, GIF, JPEG, BMP, and DICOM.
- Insight Segmentation & Registration Toolkit (ITK) - An
open-source, cross-platform systemfrom NLM that provides developers with an extensive
suite of software tools for image analysis.
- KitWare - Employing an open source development and business model
to foster extended, collaborative communities, especially around medical
imaging solutions, e.g. VTK, ITK, ParaView.
- Medical Imaging & Technology Alliance (MITA) - A leading
standards-development organization for medical imaging and radiation
therapy equipment responsible for maintaining the DICOM medical imaging standard.
- myPACS - A highly scalable, efficient platform for building web-based
multimedia clinical applications. MyPACS.net is a free service offered to the
international radiology community by McKesson
Medical Imaging Group.
- National Alliance for Medical Image Computing - Created to implement a robust and flexible open-source infrastructure
for developing and applying advanced imaging technologies across a range
of important biomedical research disciplines.
- Open Source 'Dicoogle' PACS - A free, open source image referral, archiving, routing and
viewing system. It delivers a complete wet read system, enabling an imaging
clinic or hospital to offer its services over the web to physicians within or
outside the institution.
- Orthanc- A Belgian, open-source, lightweight DICOM server
for healthcare and medical research.
- Science Image Library - A free online collection of images, illustrations and animations related to science, including biology and biomedicinel.
- VistA Imaging - This public domain system integrates clinical images, scanned documents, and other non-textual data into the patient’s VistA electronic medical record (EMR).
- Xebra - An open source, standards based, cross-platform thin client
and server written in Java for web-based distribution and
clinical review of radiology data in DICOM format.
* Check out
some of these other open source imaging software solutions: 3D Slicer, Aeskulap, Amide, Blox,
BioSig, Caret, ezDICOM, GIMIAS, Ginkgo CADx,and Kradview. Also, see the list of 'open' imaging software solutions posted on the Open Health News (OHN) web site.
An example of public / private sector collaboration
* A more comprehensive list of public domain and open source health IT systems is posted on Open Health News and also on Wikipedia
The webmaster has
assumed that individuals visiting this site already have an extensive knowledge
and interest in open source and health information technology (HIT).
If you would like to suggest new material or links to be added to this
site, please email email@example.com