There are now thousands of companies around the world developing, marketing, installing, and supporting 'open source' solutions. The following are selected examples of some major for-profit organizations focused on offering collaborative Open Source, Open Access, and Open Data business solutions:
'Open' Source Software Companies
- Acquia - Provides open cloud hosting, developer tools and world-class support for the open source Drupal content management platform.
- Alfresco - Providing a leading open source alternative for enterprise content management systems (CMS).
- Black Duck - A leading global provider of strategy, products, & services for
enabling enterprise scale adoption of open source solutions.
- Canonical - A growing global organization providing custom engineering, support, and training to organizations using open source Ubuntu server & desktop Linux-based solutions.
- Eucalyptus - Providing one of the world's most widely deployed 'open' cloud computing software solutions.
- Jaspersoft - JasperSoft provides open source business intelligence software and services to companies around the world.
- Kitware - Creates and supports high quality open source software in the fields of imaging, visualization, and 3D data analysis & display.
- OpenERP - Providing a range of open source business applications for organizaions, e.g. Accounting, CRM, Project Management, etc.
- Pentaho - Providing cost-effective open source business intelligence tools for data access, visualization,
integration, analysis and mining.
- Red Hat - The world's leading open source technology solutions provider with offerings such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux, JBoss Enterprise Middleware, Enterprise Virtualization, and much more.
- SugarCRM - Providing organizations with an alternative open-source, web-based Customer Relationship Mnagement (CRM) solution.
- Talend - An integration software company, providing open source middleware solutions that enable organizations to be more competitive.
- Zenoss - Providing open source software and services used for monitoring applications, networks, servers and much more.
* See list of open source companies ranked by Momentum Index. Major companies like Google, IBM, and Intel, are also actively competing in the 'open source' IT marketplace.
** Also, visit the COSI Open Health and COSI Open Education web sites to see the list or companies and products available in those industries.
If you would like to suggest
material or links to be added to this web site, please email Peter Groen