SAFETY RULES & SIGNALS. - Metalliferous Mines Safety India
a) SAFETY RULES ON TRUCK / DUMPER OPERATION
Many of the accidents are generally caused by unsafe acts of persons while some of the accidents are caused by unsafe mechanical or physical conditions.
Some of the safety rules are outlined below to instruct the operator on what do and what not to do while operating this truck. However, all the situations cannot be covered by safety rules. Therefore, the operator plays a very important role by being alert by using ordinary cautions mentioned below.
SAFETY RULES IN GENERAL
1. Before starting the engine
Transmission must be in neutral, the truck must be stationary (Completely stopped), the parking brake on, sufficient fuel should be in the tank and the battery terminals intact. Drain the fuel tank and fuel filter to remove sediments and condensed water.
2. Before driving the Truck / Dumper
Check each of the following items
a) Engine Oil Level
b) Radiator collect level
c) Fuel Level
d) Tyre pressure
e) Air or Oil Leaks
f) Air Pressure
g) Lights and ammeter
k) Emergency steering
l) Windshield wiper
m) Hydraulic Oil level
n) Transmission oil level
3. Do not leave the truck unattended while the engine is running and the transmission in gear.
4. Do not allow the engine to idle for extended period.
5. Do not try to tow-start this equipment under any circumstance.
6. If the truck is to be towed for any reason, make sure that an air supply is available for the brakes. If not use a rigid tow bar.
7. Do not do any repairs or do any servicing while engine is running except when adjustment can be made only under such conditions.
8. Check for flat tyres periodically during each shift.
9. Use parking brakes only except in case of emergency.
10. When checking coolant in radiator, relieve pressure before removing radiator cap.
11. When parking the truck, park at a safe distance from other vehicles as determined by the supervisor.
12. When going to and from the truck while on foot, give all vehicles a wide berth whether the operator of the vehicle is visible or not.
13. Do not carry tools or splices or allow trash to accumulate in the cab of the truck.
14. Keep all unauthorized loading material out of the truck cab.
15. When getting in o rout the cab, face truck and use hand holds provided.
16. Only authorized persons should be allowed to ride in the truck.
17. Do not allow anyone to get on or off the truck when the truck is in motion
18. Do not allow anyone to ride on fenders, battery box or steps of the truck.
19. Make sure that wind shield washers and wipers are in good condition.
20. Keep lights, windows and windshields clean.
21. Do not use fire extinguishers for any purpose other than extinguishing fire. If extinguisher is used, report the occurrence so that it may be filled or replaced.
22. Report any unsafe haul road, pit or dump conditions immediately to the supervisor.
23. Do not move the truck into or out of building without a signal man present.
24. When body is in dump position, do not allow anyone beneath it unless blocked securely.
25. Check brake look periodically for proper operation.
SAFETY RULES FOR LOADING
1. Pull in to the loading area with caution. Remain at a safe distance while truck ahead of you is being loaded.
2. Do not drive over unprotected power cables.
3. When approaching or leaving a loading area, watch out for other vehicles and personnel in the area.
4. When pulling a shovel, follow ‘spoter’ or ‘shovel operator’ signals. Operator may speed up the loading operations by watching truck position ahead of him in order to judge where he is to place his unit.
5. When the truck is being loaded, the operator should stay in the truck cab to avoid being struck by flying materials.
6. After the truck is loaded, drive away from the shovel as quickly as possible but with extreme caution.
SAFETY RULES FOR HAULING
1. Govern your vehicle speed by the road conditions, weather and visibility.
2. Always operate the truck so it under control at all times.
3. Always obey signals given by flagman at rail road crossing or cross roads.
4. Obey all road signals.
5. If unfamiliar with the road, stay alert and drive with extreme caution.
6. Always dim head lights when meeting oncoming vehicles.
7. Maintain a safe distance from vehicles in front of you. Never approach another from the rear in the same lane, closer than to feet. When operating on a down grade this distance should be no closer than 100 feet.
8. Do not pass (Overtake) another vehicle on a hill or blind curve. Before passing make sure that the road ahead is cleaner. If a disabled vehicle is blocking your lane, slow down and pass with extreme caution.
9. Before climbing up or down a gradient, select a transmission gear range that will ensure safe driving and provide control of the vehicle under all conditions.
10. When operating truck in darkness or when the visibility is poor, do not move the truck unless head lights are ON. Do not back the truck unless back-up light in ON.
11. When backing the truck give back Signal, two to three blasts of air horn will be required. These signals must be given each time the truck is moved forwards or backwards.
12. Do not stop or park on a haul road unless unavoidable. If you must stop, move truck to a safe place, if this is not possible, set out flags or flares to warn other operators.
Note: Keep some red flags always available in the tool box.
13. Cab doors should remain closed at all times.
SAFETY RULES FOR DUMPING
1. Follow spotter’s signals when backing to the dump area.
2. When backing make sure way is clear of personnel or obstructions.
3. Keep a safe distance from edge of dumping area.
4. When in dump position, place in transmission in neutral apply brake lock.
5. When moving away from dump position, shift transmission into an appropriate forward gear range, release brake lock and drive away from dumping area with caution.
6. Use extreme caution at all times.
Moving truck forward : Two horn blasts
Moving truck backward : Three horn
Hand of Flag Signals
Use the following hadn or flag signals during daylight hours when visibility is good only.
Come to me
Move machine towards the man giving signals. One of both arms extend from sides and roated in vertiacal circles towards the body.
Go from me
Move machine away from the man giving signals. One or both hands extended from sides and rotated in vertical circles away from the body.
Lantern Swung in arc in front of body
Go from me
Lantern swung in a vertical circle.
Come to me
Lantern raised and lowered vertically.
Metalliferous Mines Safety Week (Nagpur Region). Mines Safety Week Inspection at Malanjkhand Copper Project >