The Tyners of Lackanashinnagh

  • Lackanashinnigh townland stretches from the Bantry Line in the north to the road running west from Kelly’s Cross in the south. For the past 200 years or so, there have been just two farms occupying it.
  • For most of the 1800s, the Northridge family had the northern farm. The Tyners had owned the southern farm since the 1700s or maybe even longer. In 1830, Lackanashinnagh was named as the home of Richard and Jane Tyner (Kinneigh parish register).
  • By 1852, George Tyner was the land holder at Lackanashinnagh. One of his cottage tenants at Lackanashinnagh was William Tyner. George died aged 92, in 1899. His son Thomas inherited. Thomas married Margaret Alice Good in 1892 and they had 6 children.
  • In 1901 George’s widow, Margaret, aged 82, still with her son and his family lived at Lackanashinnagh. Soon after 1901, Thomas and his family left Lackanashinnagh and moved to Ballycurrany West, near Midleton. A dairyman, Daniel Hurley, occupied the farm at Lackanashinnagh in 1911.
  • In 1905, Margaret Tyner, aged 88, died at Ballycurrany West. The move from Lackanashinnagh occurred between 1901 and 1905.
  • But the family did not remain at Ballycurrany West for long.
  • Thomas Tyner’s elder brother, Michael, had moved to Wicklow some time between 1901 and 1911. The 1911 census shows Michael, plus one son and a daughter at Cronesallagh, Ballinaclash,Co. Wicklow, while his wife and the remainder of the family were still at the 1901 family home back in Cork.
  • Some time after 1911, Thomas and family moved on from Ballycurrany, and followed his brother to County Wicklow. They moved to Coolalug House, Tinahely, Co. Wicklow.
  • The result is some 12 Tyner entries in the Wicklow area in the current Irish Telephone directory, all direct descendants of the ‘emigrants’ from Cork.
Comments