The award winning Cooley Middle School Jazz Band meets during Cooley's enrichment period ("E" period) which meets for approximately 25 minutes, four days a week. Additionally, the Advanced Jazz Band meets before school a few times each week. All Jazz Band members must be currently enrolled in one of Cooley's band periods to be eligible to participate. Auditions may be required to keep the Jazz Band at the appropriate instrumentation. Because class time is mostly spent on ensemble work, a strong commitment to individual practice outside of the class is essential for all students.
The Cooley Jazz Band performs many times throughout the year including:
- Cooley's Halloween Concert
- Cooley's Fall and Spring Concerts
- Area Jazz Festivals (Sacramento State, Folsom HS, Woodcreek HS, Reno, etc.)
- School Rallies and other school events
- and other local community events
(Above: Cooley MS Jazz Band warming up for Jesuit Jazz Festival - Side: Cooley MS Jazz Band at the Mondavi Center in Davis)
Notable past performances include:-
- Mondavi Center for the Arts (UC Davis)
- Roseville Arts Faire
- Safeway Grand Opening (Blue Oaks)
- Blue Line Gallery (Roseville)
- Kaiser Permanente's "THRIVE" Arts Festival- Eskaton Village (Roseville)
- Squaw Valley Resort
- Roseville Public Library (Downtown)
- Sierra College
- Sun City Roseville
- Whole Foods Market (Roseville)
- California Readers Convention (Sacramento Convention Center)
The Cooley Jazz Band has twice been host to the Southern Oregon University Jazz Band and held a joint concert with the SOU jazz band, as well as the Woodcreek and Roseville High School jazz bands at Cooley Middle School.
Performances are often added throughout the year as opportunities arise.