Ingredients: to make 12 cookies
Preparation time: About 1 hour (25 minutes to thaw, 15 minutes to prepare, 20 minutes to bake)
Thaw the puff pastry at room temperature for about 25-30 minutes.
1. Heat the oven to 400° F (205° C). In a small bowl, whisk the egg with one tablespoon of water. Set aside.
2. Unfold one puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
Sprinkle the pastry with the shredded coconut, sliced almonds, and chocolate chips, to within half an inch of one of the edges. Leave one edge empty, so it will be easier to seal the roll at the end.
Gently run a rolling pin on top of the ingredients, to press them slightly onto the pastry.
3. Place the banana along one side (opposite to the empty edge) and tightly roll the pastry around the banana. Seal the edge with the egg wash.
4. Cut the roll into 12 slices, about half inch (1.5 cm) each.
Carefully place the slices, cut-side down, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Brush the cookies with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden on top.