Ingredients: to make 6 braids
Preparation time: about one hour and 15 minutes
1. Thaw the puff pastry, at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375º F (190º C).
2. Soak the raisins in a cup of warm water to soften, for about 10 minutes, or while you prepare the rest of the filling.
3. Melt 3 tablespoons (40 gr) of butter in a skillet and sauté the bread crumbs, stirring until golden brown. Add the cinnamon and one tablespoon of sugar. Mix well and set aside.
4. Peel the apples, remove the core, and cut in slices and than pieces. Sprinkle with lemon juice, so they will not turn brown. Mix in half cup of sugar. Drain the raisins and mix in with the apple slices
5. Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface. The pastry sheet was originally 9x9 in (23x23 cm). Roll it to about 12x15 inches (30x38 cm). Cut in 6 parts, each should be about 6x5 in (15 x 12.5 cm).
6. Spread some of the bread crumbs in the middle of each pastry, lengthwise, as shown in the picture. Leave a little space on top and bottom. Spoon the apple mixture on top of the breadcrumbs. Cut the pastry as shown, on top and bottom, so you can fold in the top and bottom pastry so that the filling won't fall out. And cut about 4 to 5 slits on each side. Fold the pastry strips over the apple, alternating sides, just like a braid. Tuck in the bottom under the braid.
7. Brush with the remaining one tablespoon of butter (melted), and sprinkle with coarse sugar if you'd like to use it.
8. Place the six braids on a baking sheet cover with parchment paper. Bake at 375º F (190º C) for 30-35 minutes until golden on top.