2 cups of Thompson raisins
1 1/2 cups of water
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of honey
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of allspice
2 cups of chopped nuts (I used almonds, but walnuts work too)
2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour (if you can't track pastry flour down, usev 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour instead)
- Put the raisins, water, and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and add the honey, stirring until blended. Let cool
- Mix the flour, spices and nuts. Add to the raisin mixture and stir well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8 x 8 can pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350°C
- Cool and cut into squares
I always store these at room temperature, or in the freezer for long-term, because I find they tend to dry out in the refrigerator.
From the Deaf Smith Country Cookbook by Marjorie Winn Ford, Susan Hillyard and Mary Faulk Koock
Published in 1991 By Avery Publishing Group, NY. USA
March 8, 2010