1 1/2 cups of black beans
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Freshly ground pepper, 4 or so turns of the pepper mill
3/4 cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
- Mash the beans with a potato masher, add the eggs, cilantro, cheese, spices and salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°C
- Add the bread crumbs and stir to mix. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes so the breadcrumbs can soak up the moisture.
- Moisten your hands and shape the burgers into four patties.
- Lightly spray your oven proof fry pan (I used cast iron) with oil and saute the burgers for 5 minutes or so on each side. You want them to brown and form a nice crust
- Transfer the pan into the oven and bake for 10 -15 minutes until heated through
Adapted from Lukas Volger's Veggie Burgers Every Which Way
Published in 2010 by The Experiment Publishing NY, USA
September 29, 2010