4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 teaspoon rosemary, minced
3 fresh sage leaves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 19 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (Hint: these are also called white kidney beans)
1 -15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cups of dry pasta, I used whole wheat orecchiette (use brown rice pasta to make this recipe gluten-free)
Grated parmesan (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven and saute the onion, celery, and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano, sage and rosemary
- Add the beans, tomatoes and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add cooked pasta to individual bowls and top with the thick soup.
- Garnish with grated parmesan if desired
Adapted from Toni Fiore's Totally Vegetarian
Published in 2008 by DaCapo Press, PA, USA
November 18, 2010