3 Tablespoons butter (substitute oil to make it vegan)
2 medium leeks
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 pound small white turnips, quartered or cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 pound of potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces (about 1 pound)
1 bunch swiss chard, stemmed, trimmed and chopped
Freshly ground pepper
- In a 3 quart saucepan melt the butter over medium heat
- Add the leeks and a dash or two of salt. Saute for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and caraway seeds and stir together.
- Add 6 cups of water, turnips, potatoes, and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender
- Add the chard and cook for about 3 minutes until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
From Peter Berley's Fresh Food Fast
Published in 2004 by HarperCollins NY, NY
May 1, 2011