3/4 cup of warmed honey (I heated it on the stove top for a few minutes)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
4 1/2 cups large flake oats (not instant)
1 1/4 cups wheat germ
3/4 cup milk powder
3/4 cup medium unsweetened coconut flakes
1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
1/3 cup chopped raw cashews
2/3 cup currants
Grated zest of one orange
- In a medium bowl beat together 3 eggs.
- Add oil and applesauce and stir together.
- In a large bowl add oats, wheat germ, milk powder, coconut, nuts, currants, and orange rind.
- Stir mixture and let sit for 25 minutes. This will help the cookies stick together.
- Preheat the oven to 325°C
- Using your hands, roll the dough into a ball and shape into a flat cookie about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick and press onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, firming up the cookie edges if needed.
- Bake at 325°C for 15 minutes until lightly brown
Adapted from the Cooperative Whole Grain Educational Association's Uprisings: the whole grain bakers' book
Published in 1990 by The book Publishing Company, TN, USA
September 6, 2010