LAW FIRMS IN OTTAWA - LAW FIRMS

Law firms in ottawa - Virginia auto accident attorney - Immigration lawyers.

Law Firms In Ottawa


law firms in ottawa
    law firms
  • (law firm) a firm of lawyers
  • (The Law Firm) The Law Firm is an hour-long reality television series that premiered on NBC on July 28, 2005. In the series, twelve young up-and-coming trial lawyers competed for a grand prize of $250,000.
  • (Law firm) a group of lawyers in private practice; the entry-level members of a law firm are called associates, and the owners are called partners
    ottawa
  • a member of the Algonquian people of southern Ontario
  • The federal capital of Canada, in southeastern Ontario, on the Ottawa River; pop. 313,987. From its founding in 1827 until 1854, it was named Bytown after Colonel John By (1779–1836)
  • Outaouais: a river in southeastern Canada that flows along the boundary between Quebec and Ontario to the Saint Lawrence River near Montreal
  • the capital of Canada (located in southeastern Ontario across the Ottawa river from Quebec)

William H. Clark
William H. Clark
Co. F, 83rd ILL. Infantry Ottawa Herald, Friday, June 7, 1912, Pg. 1 Died: June 7, 1912 PIONEER ATTORNEY DIED THIS MORNING. ______ CAPTAIN WILLIAM H. CLARK CAME HERE IN 1868 ______ Has Been an Abstracter Since Ottawa Indians Released Their Holdings in the Early Day---Once in the Kansas Legislature. ______ William H. Clark, lawyer and abstracter of many years residence in this city, and known well throughout Kansas, died at 4 o’clock this morning at his home, Main and Seventh streets. His death was not unexpected, and came after a protracted weakening following a stroke of paralysis which occurred three years ago. He was able to occupy a chair on his porch last night, but the sinking spell came during the night. His condition became worse late last week and both his daughters, Mrs. D. E. Wald of New York, and Mrs. F. K. Collins of Philadelphia, arrived Sunday to be with him. Mrs. Clark and Mr. Clark’s sister, Miss Nana J. Clark of Monmouth, Ill. were also present, the latter, having been here for several months. These, with the deceased brother, John Z. Clark of this city, will probably be the only relatives here for the funeral, which will be held Monday morning at 10 o’clock from the home. Burial will be in Highland Cemetery. Besides the relatives, mentioned, there are three surviving brothers of Mr. Clark and a sister. They are D. M. Clark of Chicago, James Clark of Greeley, Colo., Henry Clark of Wyoming, and Mrs. Elizabeth Drennon of Colorado. These will probably not attend the funeral. Mr. Clark was the eldest of nine children. The business career of Mr. Clark in Ottawa began with his legal connection with the Ottawa Indians, for many of whom he was legal advisor. He made some of the earliest entries on the property books of this county, being entries of Indian claims and sales made here while the Indians occupied this territory. The first firm in which he was a member was Mason, Clark & Cheney, his associates being C. B. Mason and M. E. Cheney. This was of several years duration, and in 1874 he formed a partnership with F. A. Wilkerson which continued thirty years until the death of Mr. Wilkerson. He sold a half interest in the business 1 year ago to Ben F. Bowers to whom he turned over complete charge of affairs on account of his own illness. The Clarks were members of the United Presbyterian church and Pastor S. W. Woodburn of the local church will have charge of the funeral services. Like many another successful man of this century Mr. Clark’s business career was begun immediately after the Civil War when business was difficult of organization and the country was in its reconstruction. Mr. Clark had reached his majority barely in time to become a soldier in the Civil War, having been born in Guernsey County, O., January 12, 1838. His father had been reared in Ireland and his mother was of Irish descent so William Clark was endowed with the spirit of independence that made of him a good soldier. So when he had removed to Monmouth, Ill., and was graduated from Monmouth College in the literary course and had begun the study of law there, he left his studies to join the 83d Illinois Inf. Co. F. in 1862. His promotion to captain came in 1864 for meritorious service and he led the 16th U. S. Colored Infantry until he was mustered out of service at Nashville in 1866. After fighting ceased Mr. Clark kept at the study of law in his quarters until mustered out and then he moved to White Cloud, Kans. He had been admitted to the bar in Nashville. He came to Ottawa in February, 1868, and had been connected with legal work as lawyer, abstracter, justice of the peace and legislator ever since until he turned over his active work to Ben F. Bowers whom he took as a partner about a year ago. One term in the legislature, from 1873 to 1874 was his service to the state. He was postmaster in 1878 to 1880 and was elected justice of the peace, and police judge in 1881. Mr. Clark was the eldest of nine children, one of whom, John Z. Clark, of this city is a brother. These two were for several years interested together in a book concern here, the firm of Clark Brothers. He was married December 19, 1866, to Miss Jane G. Graham of Wyoming, Wis., and they began housekeeping in White Cloud, Doniphan County, in this state. William Cutler wrote the following about this gentleman: HON. WM. H. CLARK, attorney, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in January, 1839. Emigrated to Monmouth, Ill., twelve years later; here he attended Monmouth College, and was also for a time engaged in farming pursuits. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Eighty-third Illinois Infantry, and after considerable service was promoted to Captain of the Sixteenth United States Colored Infantry, serving until June, 1866. In July of that year he came to Kansas and practiced law for eighteen months at White Cloud, Doniphan County. In 1868 he came to Ottawa, and at once opened an office for the practice of
Brookside Farm
Brookside Farm
The remaining portion of Davidson's estate was purchased, as mentioned earlier, by Charles Stewart whose acquisition totalled most of the original grant to Peter Switzer, about whom little is known. Falling on hard times however, Stewart was forced to sell his interests. Daniel C. Perkins purchased a 13 acre block and the Adam & Davidson mill reserve. Judge Frederick S. Taylor speculates that it was probably Perkins who built the lovely old farm house which presently stands near the foot of the RCS hill, known as "Brookside Farm." Mr. Perkins had aspirations for the civil service and by 1881 had become Collector of Inland Revenue, selling his Rothesay property to George W. Burbidge for $6,200. The following year Burbidge was appointed Deputy Minister of Justice in Ottawa and he sold the property to his law partner, Leigh Richmond Harrison. In turn he later sold it to John Fletcher Taylor, a ship owner with offices on Prince William Street, in whose family the house remains to this day. The house itself is built in the same Gothic Revival style as other houses of the same era, except it is on a larger scale. Perhaps the most striking exterior features are the three towered gables atop a verandah which extends around three sides of the house. The larger centre gable contains a cathedral-like window at its base. When John Taylor (who had been born on a farm near Dorchester) and his sister Elizabeth moved out to Rothesay during the late 1880's, he built an office on the property and ran his end of the shipbuilding business from there while his brother Charles ran the New York end of the business from town. The Taylor Brothers' shipping firm, which operated from 1870 to 1904, is an illustration of the prosperity of the period after Confederation. They owned and operated a fleet of 27 vessels out of Saint John and built several new ones each year from 1879 to 1887. During this period the property was a working farm. Judge Taylor records that Charles died as a result of this pursuit, dropping "dead in the front vestibule" after returning from starting the annual cattle drive for the Christmas market in Saint John in 1906. After the deaths of John and Elizabeth Taylor (in 1916 and 1918 respectively), the house and property passed to John's son, Frederick Richard. In 1927 he decided to live there year round and made some renovations to the house and property. The farming operation was maintained by Fred R. as a hobby after his graduation from Harvard Law School in 1901. Prize cattle were a specialty and in 1927 a Taylor herd of Shorthorn won the Grand Championship at the Toronto Exhibition. Hook, R., Condon, A., & Grant, C. (1984). Rothesay -- An Illustrated History 1784 - 1920. Rothesay, NB: Rothesay Area Heritage Trust Inc.

law firms in ottawa
Comments