HUMAN TERRAIN TEAMS WANT YOU!
The Army’s Human Terrain System (HTS) is expanding from Iraq and Afghanistan to Africa and Mexico, and they’re looking for “anthropologists.” Thankfully, so far, most HTS-ers haven’t been anthropologists.
BUT, YOU SHOULD KNOW:
· In 2007 the American Anthropological Association (AAA) condemned HTS
· In 2009 a special AAA commission said HTS is not “a legitimate professional exercise of anthropology”
· 1,000+ anthropologists signed a pledge not to participate in HTS
· 720 anthropologists, including 6 former AAA Presidents, called on Congress to cancel the program
· 3 Human Terrain Team social scientists have been killed
· The AAA commission found no evidence HTS is effective
THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF ANTHROPOLOGISTS OPPOSE HTS BECAUSE:
· HTS endangers human subjects and contradicts AAA’s ethical code requiring anthropologists do no harm
· HTS is an intelligence gathering program
· HTS symbolizes the search for military solutions to conflicts that only have political, diplomatic, and economic solutions
· HTS endangers anthropologists everywhere
HTS promises big bucks.
Get the real facts and spread the word!