For today you should:
1) Read about Thomas Kuhn and "Objectivity, Value Judgement and Theory Choice."
2) Read Chapter 5 and prepare the reading questions below.
3) Continue to work on exercises at your pace.
1) Kuhn reading questions.
2) Chapter 5 reading questions
3) Work time.
For next time you should:
1) Read Chapter 6 and prepare the reading questions below.
2) Continue to work on exercises at your pace.
1) What is the basic position of the people the Wikipedia article calls realists?
2) What is the basic position of the people the Wikipedia article calls postmodernists?
3) Before Popper, what was the fundamental question in philosophy of science?
4) After Kuhn, what is the fundamental question in philosophy of science?
1) What, according to a scientific realist, are the properties of scientific theory?
2) What are the best arguments in favor of scientific realism?
3) What are some of the arguments against?
For Chapter 6
1) What's a totalistic CA? Of all the totalistic 2-D CAs, why did Conway choose GoL?
2) How is 2-D convolution in the context of digital image processing related to the convolution of a signal and a system response?
3) Why was Gosper's Gun important?
4) What is a "postulated entity" and what does scientific realism have to say about their existence?
5) Suppose I implement the GoL with rocks. Clearly the rocks are real. What about the gliders?