Smash Stack is an exploit found by comex in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Unlike the other game-based exploits, it does not use a modified save file to be executed. Instead, it is based on the SD card loading function from the Stage Builder.
This guide can be used on any Wii console or on the WiiU virtual Wii mode.
If you are softmodding a Wii, you can use another exploit (see hacking guide) to softmod without needing Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
0. Remove ALL custom stages with the Stage Builder (make backups of them if you still need them).
1. Rename your private folder on the SD card to "privateold".
2. Downloading the exploit
Steps differ depending on the region of your console:
a. Download the Smash Stack exploit and extract it to the root of the SD card.
a. On the Smash Stack website, scroll down to download and get the w/o save one.
b. Place the bin file in SD:/private/wii/app/rsbp/st/ for PAL or SD:/private/wii/app/rsbk/st/ on KOR (Create the folders if they don't exist).
Note: If the folders above already existed, make sure there are no other bin files in it!
3. Put the dol or elf file to run in the root of the SD card (usually the boot.elf of the Hackmii installer).
4. Do NOT insert the SD card yet.
Load the Super Smash Bros. Brawl game.
Now you can insert the SD card.
In the main menu, go to the Vault, then choose Stage Builder. It should load automatically on this moment.
Additional Hackmii installer steps:
5. You will see a Scam warning screen.
Wait for the message at the bottom to appear, then press 1.
6. You will see a screen like this one:
Depending on your console, it will show different things behind BootMii:.
Press A to continue.
Now we get to the main menu, where we can install everything.
First install the Homebrew Channel (choose Yes, continue).
The Homebrew Channel will now be installed on your Wii.
Optional (Recommended) Steps: Installing BootMii (if possible)
BootMii is a helps greatly with Brick protection and it is highly recommended to install it.
These steps don't work on WiiU
7. In the HackMii main menu, choose BootMii... and press A. You will get another menu.
8. Before BootMii will work, we need to prepare our SD card, so do that first with the third option.
9. Install BootMii as IOS. This will always work.
10. If you're one of the lucky winners, choose install BootMii as boot2, then Yes, continue and let it install.
Once you're done, return to the Main menu and choose Exit. It will launch the Homebrew Channel. You will probably see just an empty background unless you already added some apps.
To exit the Homebrew Channel, press Home and choose the reboot or shutdown option.
11. Don't forget to restore your stage builder stages if you had any.
Also restore your original private folder on the SD card (remove the exploit's private folder and rename privateold to private)
If you installed BootMii (Wii only)
If you installed BootMii, regardless whether it was as boot2 or IOS, it is recommended you use it to create a NAND backup. This backup can be used to restore the Wii to a working state in case you brick it.
You can learn about launching BootMii and making a backup on the BootMii page.
If you installed BootMii as Boot2, the BootMii menu will appear every time you boot your Wii.
So, what's next?
It mostly depends on what you want to do.
I want to run basic homebrew applications:
=> You are already done! Visit the list of Homebrew Applications on Wiibrew. You can also view our Homebrew Channel page if you need help setting things up.
I want to load backup games from a USB drive, install WADs:
=> Continue on to install a cIOS which will allow you to use these more advanced apps.
I want to change the system menu theme (Wii only, will brick WiiU):