Francine Camp Ancestors

Our Ancestors

Private Charles Ellet Ancestor of : Dave, Scott, John, Thomas and Daniel Hann

Charles, a native of Ireland, was 43 years old and living in Grand Rapids when he enlisted in Company B, of the Third  Michigan Infantry, on May 13, 1861. By September of 1862 he was employed as a Wagoner, probably in the Brigade wagon trains, and was reported as a Wagoner with the Brigade trains from April of 1863 through July, in October was with the supply train, probably serving as a teamster. In November he was a First Division Wagoner and was back with the Brigade supply train from December of 1863 until he was mustered out of service on June 20, 1864. Pvt. Ellet while not wounded in the war, did suffer from sickness during his service but did not keep him out of the war. For example once the 3rd Michigan was mustered into service it was sent to Washington DC. Upon arrival some of the members of Company B, were detailed to man the Cannons protection Chain Bridge at Arlington Heights. Ellet was one of the men detailed for service as he did have some prior Artillery experience serving in the Grand Rapids Artillery in 1859. This was for two weeks starting around June 20, 1861. The types of Cannons that were in defense of Chain Bridge were the large “Siege” Cannons. Private Ellet was detailed on July 4, 1861 by Captain Baker Borden of Company B, to fire a salute in honor of July 4th.  The concussion of the guns along with sleeping on damp ground caused as deafness in Ellet’s right ear. During General Burnsides famous “Mud March” Private Charles Ellet, is confined to his tent, near Fredericksburg, VA, on January 20, 1863, with a bad case of “diarrhea” plus loss of hearing in his left ear. Ellet is already suffering with a loss of hearing in his right ear. He is sent to the Army Hospital opposite of Fredericksburg where he will stay for two weeks. While in the Hospital Ellet’s left ear is treated with a medicine on a sponge which will clear up his hearing in that ear. Mustered out on June 20, 1864, the years spent in the Army must have had an effect on him as he served in the Second Regiment of the Michigan State Troops for over 25 years as a gunner with Company K.  He was a member of Grand Army of the Republic Champlin Post No. 29 in Grand Rapids and the Old Third Michigan Infantry Association, as was elected as one of the Vice Presidents its organization in 1871.  Charles died of old age and “La Grippe” (influenza) on February 3, 1900, at his home at 16 Broadway Street in Grand Rapids, and the funeral was held at the house at 2:00 Monday afternoon and was conducted by Rev. I. Davis of the First Presbyterian Church. He is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Grand Rapids Michigan