Oil pulling is simply rinsing your mouth with oil, whether you use sunflower oil, sesame, or coconut oil. Because the toxins attach to the oil’s mucous membrane, you simply spit it out to ensure you do not reintroduce those harmful toxins back into your system. It is important to understand that during the oil-pulling process one's metabolism is intensified. This leads to improved health.
Health issues oil pulling has been known to aid with and in some cases cure (based on individual accounts):
· Arterio Thrombosis
· Bad Breath
· Bleeding Gums
· Candida Overgrowth
· Chronic / Acute Sinusitis (Sinus Infections)
· Chronic Blood Disorders Such As Leukemia
· Chronic Diseases Digestive Problems
· Crohns Disease
· Gingivitis / Gum Disease
· Heart Disease
· Irritable Bowel Syndrome (Ibs)
· Kidney Disease
· Migraine Headaches
· Neuro Physiological Paralysis
· Post Nasal Drip
· Skin Conditions
· Tooth Decay
· Whitens Teeth
· White Tongue
· Women's Diseases
In most cases, if you have some ailments, the symptoms of your disease would get worse after you have performed oil pulling for some time. Do not be alarmed by the worsening of the symptoms of your disease since this is an indication that your body is responding to the oil pulling treatment. Continue doing oil pulling until all symptoms are finally gone.
Many people are concerned about potential side effects. You may experience a general feeling of detox which might include a fever, which is completely normal. You may notice an increase in mucus, headache, cough, soreness/stiffness, changes to skin, etc… If you have suffered from sinus problems in the past, you may develop something akin to a sinus infection. There should be no “side effects” per say. Any symptoms you experience are simply part of the detox process.
It has been reported that you need to do the oil pulling for at least 2-4 weeks to
get some results. Because it can be detoxifying, you might want to take a break sometimes. There’s no rule about frequency - judge according to your body’s own signals. Some people believe that if you do not take a break you may start to take out the good bacteria and vitamins from your body. There is no study which supports this claim so again, use your judgment and consult with a trusted medical professional if you are concerned.
Oil pulling during pregnancy and while breastfeeding is safe according to Dr. Karach however, I personally would discuss this with your doctor. While you are spitting the toxins out immediately, your body will still be in a general state of detox. This may or may not have an effect on your baby.
Still not sure about oil pulling? Here are the results of an oil pulling survey by a newspaper in India. In 1996, after continuous publication of a regular column for three years in their Sunday edition on Oil Pulling, Andhra Jyoti, a Telugu daily newspaper, conducted a survey to find out the types of diseases cured and the effectiveness of oil pulling. Out of a total of 1041 respondents, 927 (89%) reported cure of one or more diseases. 114(11%) people did not report any cure. The analysis indicated cure of the following types of chronic diseases:
· Pains in the body and problems pertaining to neck and above- 758 cases
· Allergy and respiratory problems of lungs like asthma, bronchitis etc- 191 cases
· Skin problems like pigmentation, itching, scars, black patches, and eczema etc -171 cases
· Digestive system-155 cases
· Constipation- 110 cases
· Arthritis and joint pains- 91 cases
· Heart disease and B.P- 74 cases
· Diabetes- 56 cases
· Piles- 27 cases
· Diseases pertaining to female reproductive system reported by women- 21 cases
· Diseases like Polio, Cancer, Leprosy, polycystic kidney, neural fibroma, paralysis etc -72
Coconut Oil for Oil Pulling
Generally, cold pressed sesame oil and sunflower oil are used for oil pulling. In recent years, unrefined coconut oil has become rather popular. The reasons are simple. Coconut oil is:
· Anti-bacterial (kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum diseases, and other bacterial infections)
· Anti-carcinogenic (coconut oil has antimicrobial properties so it effectively prevents the spread of cancer cells and enhances the immune system)
· Anti-fungal (kills fungi and yeast that lead to infection)
· Anti-inflammatory (appears to have a direct effect in suppressing inflammation and repairing tissue, and it may also contribute by inhibiting harmful intestinal microorganisms that cause chronic inflammation.)
· Anti-microbial/Infection Fighting (the medium-chain fatty acids and monoglycerides found in coconut oil are the same as those in human mother's milk, and they have extraordinary antimicrobial properties. By disrupting the lipid structures of microbes, they inactivate them. About half of coconut oil consists of lauric acid. Lauric acid, its metabolite monolaurin and other fatty acids in coconut oil are known to protect against infection from bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi and parasites. While not having any negative effect on beneficial gut bacteria, coconut oil inactivates undesirable microbes.)
· An Antioxidant (protects against free-radical formation and damage)
· Anti-parasitic (fights to rid the body of tapeworms, lice and other parasites)
· Anti-protozoa (kills giardia, a common protozoan infection of the gut)
· Anti-retroviral (kills HIV and HLTV-1)
· Anti-viral (kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other viruses)
Want to learn more about coconut oil? Visit 160 Uses for Coconut Oil.
Here is an Oil Pulling How To
· Unrefined Coconut Oil (or cold pressed sunflower or sesame oil). You cannot use a refined oil. You will not get the same results.
· A pure soap such as Dr. Bronner’s or olive oil soap OR baking soda.
1. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach is the best time to do oil pulling, but if another time works better for you, that’s fine. Just make sure you have an empty stomach and are performing this before a meal.
2. Brush your teeth with water. You want the oil to attack your ailments, not left over food particles.
3. Take about 1 tablespoon of oil in the mouth, and swish it through the teeth gently, not vigorously, in a comfortable way, for 10-15 minutes. Don’t simply swish side to side, but back and forth in the way you might do with mouthwash.
4. If you have the urge to swallow, exhale slowly (through the nose) and continue breathing slowly until the urge passes. If you really need to swallow, go ahead and swallow just from the back of the throat, keeping the oil in the front of your mouth.
5. If it becomes too unpleasant, spit out and try again another day. It can be a bit unpleasant at first when you’re not used to it, but soon won’t be bothersome at all, just like brushing your teeth.
6. When the oil has become saturated with the toxins it has pulled out, it will become somewhat whitish and a thinner, milky consistency, depending on the type of oil used. Each time you oil pull, it can take a different amount of time to get to that point, so 15 minutes is a general rule of thumb, but you can experiment with this.
7. If the oil is still yellowish in color you have not pulled out all of the toxins.
8. After the end of your session, spit the oil out, then rinse the mouth with warm salt water. Salt water rinsing isn’t absolutely necessary, but is very helpful. You may then brush teeth very thoroughly with soap. Yes, SOAP. If using bar soap, swipe the brush across the bar and then rinse the bar to keep it clean. If using a liquid soap, you can just put a less-than-pea sized amount on the toothbrush. Brushing with soap doesn’t taste bad at all. It just foams more than toothpaste. You can use baking soda if you prefer. (Do NOT use toothpaste!)
9. Clean the sink thoroughly. You can use some antibacterial soap to clean the sink. Remember that the spittle contains harmful bacteria and toxic bodily waste. If one were to see one drop of this liquid magnified 600 times under a microscope, one would see microbes in their first stage of development.
I am going to start oil pulling in an effort to get my ulcerative colitis under control. Although I am still breastfeeding Tiny, I feel comfortable embarking on this detox adventure. I will keep you posted on the results!