Roasted Summer Veggie Shepherds Pie
with Corn, Tomato, Onions and Quinoa
Florida Coastal Cooking
3 ½ pounds mixed potatoes
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
2 Tbsp gluten free flour (or any flour)
2 cups vegetable broth, divided
2 Tbsp fresh thyme & chives (or any herbs you like)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Chop potatoes and one onion. Lay out four baking sheets, spray with organic olive oil cooking spray (or your Misto). Top two sheets with potatoes and chopped onion. Quarter and slice second onion. Place on third tray with tomatoes. Cut off silk on top of corn only and place on 4th. Sprinkle salt on tomatoes, onions and potatoes. Place all trays in oven, bake 45 minutes, remove corn from oven and toss the remaining three trays. Place all but corn back in oven for additional 10 minutes.
- Rinse quinoa and add to small pot with 1 ½ cups veggie broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 15 minutes; remove from heat and let sit an additional 5 minutes
- Place cooked potatoes and onions from first two trays in a food processor and pulse until it becomes the texture of a rustic mashed potato. Taste and re-season.
- Mix the 2 tbsp flour and ½ cup veggie broth in a medium bowl; stir in tomatoes, onions, thyme/chives and cooked quinoa. Shuck corn and cut kernels off cob; add to bowl and mix all well. Taste and re-season if necessary.
- Spray a 2 Qt baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon tomato mixture into baking dish and top with potato mixture. Press potatoes evenly. (**You can cool and refrigerate for one day at this point. Simply bring back to room temp and cook as directed.)
- Place baking dish in preheated 400F oven for 20 minutes or until heated well throughout. Turn broiler to high and brown top, about 3 minutes.