Coconut-Banana Ice Cake with Chocolate Pecan Crust
Florida Coastal Cooking
Vegan, Gluten Free
1/2 cup raw pecans, toasted for a few minutes in a skillet over medium heat.
2/3 cup soft Medjool dates, pits removed
1/4 cup cocoa nibs (or dark chocolate chips for non-vegan)
1/4 cup finely shredded coconut, Lets Do Organic
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 5 hours, overnight is best
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tsp alcohol-free vanilla extract, divided
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup agave (or honey for non-vegans)
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 super ripe)
1/3 cup shredded coconut, Let's Do Organic
1. Place pecans, dates, coconut and chips in a food processor with sea salt and pulse to chop until they are just combined and stick together nicely. Press into a small spring form pan (7 or 8 inch) or anything similar sized that can be frozen, (such as the microwave steamer I found and covered in plastic wrap.)
2. Heat honey and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat until coconut oil melts, stirring frequently.
3. In a Vitamix or food processor mix the soaked cashews, lemon juice, 1 tsp vanilla and melted coconut oil-agave mixture; process on high for several minutes until VERY smooth.
4. Pour about 3/4 of the mixture (does not have to be exact) out onto the crust and spread with a spoon or spatula. Place into the freezer while you work on the next step.
5. Add the bananas, second 1 tsp vanilla and coconut to the remaining 1/4 mixture in the Vitamix or food processor; process or blend again on high until very smooth. Remove cake from freezer and pour banana layer over the first cashew layer. Place back into freezer until well frozen. Cover well with plastic wrap until ready to serve to prevent freezer burn.
6. Remove from freezer and place in refrigerator for 1 hour or at room temperature for just over 30 minutes prior to serving. Cut slices with a knife run under hot water. Rewrap any leftovers and place back in freezer.