Florida Coastal Cooking
Makes 7 cups
2 Tbsp coconut oil or EVOO
2 onion, chopped
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, divided
2 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons of turmeric (For color. Palm oil is traditionally used.)
1/3 cup peanut butter or cashew butter
Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
1 1/2 to 2 cups veggie stock or water
1 cup cornmeal
Salt and pepper -- to taste
1 14.5 oz can light coconut milk
1/2 pound white fish fillets such as flounder or cod
A few dashes of hot sauce
Handful fresh cilantro
1. Place the onion, 1/2 cup shrimp, garlic, turmeric, jalapeño , nut butter, lime zest, cornmeal and broth in food processor or blender and puree well.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion-shrimp mixture and sauté until cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes adding more broth as needed.
3. Pour in coconut milk and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the remaining shrimp, fish and lime juice and simmer another 5-6 minutes, or until seafood is almost cooked through.
5. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro.