At its most basic, NG9-1-1 is an initiative by professionals in the 9-1-1 industry to replace the existing 9-1-1 network with one based on Internet Protocol technology, allowing new communications technologies to be integrated into the network and gaining other benefits by replacing analog systems with a flexible, diverse, and intelligent design.
- What is Next Generation 9-1-1?
- The National Emergency Number Association's NG9-1-1 Page
- Legal and Regulatory Frameword for Next Generation 9-1-1 Services (FCC)
- NENA's ESInet Design Document
- NENA's i3 Webinar (download as a .zip file)
- The USDOT Research and Innovative Technology Administration's NG9-1-1 Page
- The USDOT's NG9-1-1 System Initiative Transition Plan
- Animated NG9-1-1 Transition Diagram
- What does it mean for something to be "i3" compliant? (Cassidian Communications)
In 2011, the Colorado 9-1-1 Resource Center contracted with Mission Critical Partners, a public safety consulting firm, to conduct a study to determine options for the future transition to NG911 in Colorado. This study focused on three primary considerations: