- Pavement structure modeling, analysis, design and evaluation.
- Pavement Surface Characteristics and Performance Modelling
- Road Construction Technology and QA / QC
- Pavement Material Design, Testing and Performance Modelling
- Road Skid Resistance Analysis
- Road Safety Assessment
- Road and airport asset management system
- Life Cycle Assessment and Sustainable Pavement Engineering
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery
- Data Integration and Database Development
- Geographical Information System (GIS) and its Application in Transportation Engineering
- Computer Vision and its Application in Transportation Engineering
- Developed computer software for road skid resistance analysis through fix-slip and various-slip road friction testing, including skid resistance condition reporting, identification of skid resistance deficiency for different category of road, stopping distance, loss-control and hydroplanning risk analysis etc.
- Developed computer software for structural evaluation of pavement with FWD testing data, including evaluation of the structural condition of different pavement layers (surface, basecourse, subbase and subgrade) by FWD deflection basin paramters, backculation of pavement layer modulus for pavement remaining life prediction and rehabilitation / reconstruction design, and pavement construction QA/QC.
- Developed computer software for analyzing pavement longitudinal, transverse profiles or 3D profiles measured by High-Speed Laser Profilometer, Walking Profiler and Laser Scanners by incorporating latest research results from Wavelet Analysis.
- Developed analytical multiple-slab models for analysis and design of concrete pavement:
--a nine-slab model and a six-slab model for the analysis of concrete pavement
under vertical loads, which can take account of effects of joint load transfer,
exact slab dimensions and transverse shear deformation;
-- a nine-slab model and a six-slab model for the analysis of concrete pavement under temperature distribution, which can take account of joint load transfer, exact slab dimensions, transverse shear deformation and nonlinear temperature distribution;
- Developed, in collaboration with others, a visco-elastic multiple-layer model for the static analysis of flexible pavement and a visco-elastic multiple-layer model for the dynamic analysis of flexible pavement.
- Developed, in collaboration with others, a novel approach to analyze road roughness profile and characterize road roughness features by using wavelet transform.
- Developed, in collaboration with others, a novel approach to analyze road surface image and automatically extract surface distress information from the image by using wavelet transform.
- Developed statistical models for developing relations between pavement roughness, performance and material properties using Long Term Pavement Performance (LTPP) Data in USA.
- Involved in the research on the non-linear material behavior for unbound layers in flexible pavements and validation of response incorporating non-linear back-calculated layer properties with actual measured deflections.
- Involved in the research on the polymer modified asphalt
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa. Design of Rigid Pavements, Chapter 9, Handbook of Highway Engineering, CRC Press 2005.
Zhong Yang, Zhou Chunxiu and Liu Wei Application of Sympletic Geometry Method in Solving Problem of Thin Plate on Elastic Foundation. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology (in Chinese), No. 4, Vol. 36, 2004, pp. 505-508.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa and Zhao Zhe Wavelet Analysis and Interpretation of Road Roughness. Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 131, No. 2, February, 2005, pp. 120-130.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa Characterizing Road Roughness by Wavelet Transform Journal of Transportation Research Record, No. 1869, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D. C., 2005, pp.152-158.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa Closed-Form, Six-Slab, Thick-Plate Solution for Analysis of Edge Slab of Concrete Pavement, Journal of Transportation Research Record No. 1919, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D. C., 2005, pp. 3-15.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa and Zhong Yang Nine-Slab Model For Temperature Effects On Concrete Pavements. Road Material and Pavement Design, Lavoisier-Hermes Science Publications, Vol.7, No. 2, pp. 149-177, 2006.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa Nine-Slab Model for Concrete Pavement. (Accepted) International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Taylor & Francis Group,
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa, Effects of Non-Linear Temperature Distribution on Concrete Pavements (Published and Presented) 5th EASTS Conference, Fukouka, Japan, 2003.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa, Characterizing Road Roughness By Wavelet Transform. (Published and Presented) 83rd TRB Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, U.S.A, 2004.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa, Application of Wavelet Transform Analysis For Pavement Roughness Studies. (Published and Presented) 8th AATT Conference, Beijing, China, 2004.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa and Zhao Zhe, Pavement Roughness Analysis Using Wavelet Theory (Published and Presented) 6th PMS Conference, Brisbane, Australia, 2004.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa, A Six-Slab Thick-Plate Model For Concrete Pavement (Published and Presented) 84th TRB Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, U.S.A, 2005.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa, Traffic Noise Analysis by Wavelet Transform (Published and Presented) 3rd APTE Conference, Singaproe, 2004.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa, Analysis Of Concrete Pavement By Multiple-Slab Models (Published and Presented) 5th ICPT Conference, Seoul, Korea, 2005.
Liu Wei, T. F. Fwa, Effects of Joint Load Transfer on Concrete Pavements (Published and Presented) 6th EASTS Conference, Bangkok, 2005.