Zucchini Pizza Crust (with Chipotle BBQ Bacon and Grilled Corn Pizza)
A healthy zucchini pizza crust topped with chipotle bbq sauce, bacon, grilled corn, red onion and plenty of cheese!Servings: 2-4Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 25 minutesTotal Time: 40 minutes
- 4 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chipotle barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup gouda or mozzarella (optionally smoked), shredded
- 1 ear of grilled corn (or 1/2 cup corn)
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces and cooked
- red onion to taste, thinly sliced
- fresh cilantro to taste (optional)
- diced tomato to taste (optional)
- diced avocado to taste (optional)
Note: Step 1 is optional and the recipe will work without doing it but it helps make it easier to remove the moisture from the zucchini. If you use raw zucchini the bake time for the crust will be closer to 20 minutes than 15.Note: You can add 1/4 cup flour, or rice flour, or almond flour, etc. to the zucchini mixture which will help make the crust stronger but it also makes it a little bit tougher.
- (optional) Microwave the zucchini on high for 6 minutes, let cool, place it in a tea towel and squeeze as much moisture out as you can.
- Mix the zucchini, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, oregano, salt and pepper, press the mixture onto a baking mat or parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 450F oven until lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Spread the barbecue sauce on the pizza, top with the mozzarella, corn, bacon and red onion and bake until the cheese is bubbling, about 10-15 minutes.
- Optionally serve topped with fresh cilantro, avocado and tomato.