White Bean and Spinach Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Blue Cheese in a Bacon Pan Sauce Dressing
from Closet Cooking
A nice, sweet and innocent looking white bean and spinach quinoa salad hiding a dark underside of bacon, onions and mushrooms caramelized in bacon grease and a bacon grease dressing. Naughty and nice never tasted so good!
Servings: makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (6 ounce) package baby spinach
- 1 (19 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup mild blue cheese, crumbled
- Cook the quinoa as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a pan, about 4-6 minutes, and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon grease.
- Caramelize the onions and mushrooms in the remaining bacon grease, about 20-30 minutes, and set aside.
- Add the vinegar to the pan and deglaze it.
- Mix in the reserved bacon grease, sugar, mustard, garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach and white beans and cook until the spinach wilts, about 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Mix in the bacon, onions and mushrooms.
- Serve garnished with blue cheese.